1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if im the only one who has noticed Midway's 08 pricing.:eek:
Is it me or does it seem to pricey. Usally Midway is much cheaper that buying things like bullets ,reloading Dies ect. The 08 prices are easly beat by my local dealer! I even bought a set of sights and a Turkey choke for my 12 guage cheaper localy. I thought it may have been my dealer has not adjusted his 08 prices yet but he told me he had.
I still love Midway for stuff I cant get here. Just seems to high.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Remember that it is harder for a catalog store to adjust prices midway through the year that you're local shop. It may be that they are bracing for some rater nasty price increases that may or may not come. It also may be that you're local dealer has beater prices than you realize. Also, Midway prices have always tended to be good, but not that outstanding compared to Wally World and other discount merchants.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've noticed that Midway's prices jumped around the beginning of the year. I think it's just the nature of the beast, so to speak, these days. Seems like this has been the case the last couple of years. I still consider them the best operation going these days and they have surpassed Brownells in just about every category imaginable. Where else are you going to find RCBS reloading dies for the 9.3x66 Sako?

·
Registered
220 Posts
"I am Larry Poterfield, and that's the way it is!"

Maybe they have been spending too much advertising dollars these days!
It seems like they fund Outdoor Channel.

Jamie

·
Registered
788 Posts
All ammo,loaded and components (brass and bullets) are going up in price everywhere. Partly this was blamed on our war but others say that China is the more likely cause of the problem.
Word is they are buying up metals all over the world and this is causing a market shortage which causes prices to rise.They are said to be doing the same thing with oil.

A pal of mine just started reloading and we had priced a box of .45-70 cast lead bullets at $48.** per 250 and a week later the same store,same exact box of bullets had jumped to $69.**!! :confused:

I know prices need to be adjusted when the seller incurs extra cost to restock but I believe this was a case of gouging.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I shop at various online component sites and Midway has decent prices. The drawback with Midway is their shipping and handling cost for heavier items like bullets.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have done a lot of business with Midway over the years, and they are still one of my favorite mail order companies. Unfortunately, everyone's prices are going up. I really notice the higher prices in the big stores like Gander Mountain also.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have done a lot of business with Midway over the years, and they are still one of my favorite mail order companies. Unfortunately, everyone's prices are going up. I really notice the higher prices in the big stores like Gander Mountain also.
You mentioned Gander Mountain man they have always been overpriced. We have one about 60 miles away I dont see how they sell anything with there prices.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Midway has always been great in my book!!! Check out Graf and Sons also!

·
Registered
538 Posts
All ammo,loaded and components (brass and bullets) are going up in price everywhere. Partly this was blamed on our war but others say that China is the more likely cause of the problem.
Word is they are buying up metals all over the world and this is causing a market shortage which causes prices to rise.They are said to be doing the same thing with oil.

A pal of mine just started reloading and we had priced a box of .45-70 cast lead bullets at $48.** per 250 and a week later the same store,same exact box of bullets had jumped to $69.**!! :confused:

I know prices need to be adjusted when the seller incurs extra cost to restock but I believe this was a case of gouging.
I would like to agree with you but unfortunately this is not limited to ammo.

About 6 months ago I ordered some stainless steal tubing for our lab. When I got the price quot and compared it to what we had payed 2 years earlier, I was shocked. The price had nearly doubled. When I called to company to double check they said that their supply cost had been going up really fast, and that the corporate had been contently pushing out mid year price increases. A catalog seller always looks bad when they raise prices mid year with the old prices published, so they probably over compensate at the beginning of the year. I seem to recall a similar thread about midway prices last year.

As for the reason for the price increase in gewneral, you have 4 causes: supplies diverted for the war, growing Asian markets sucking up more commodities, a weak US dollar, and a bunch of scumbag speculators taking advantage of market fears caused by the first three.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I wonder if im the only one who has noticed Midway's 08 pricing.:eek:
Is it me or does it seem to pricey. Usally Midway is much cheaper that buying things like bullets ,reloading Dies ect. The 08 prices are easly beat by my local dealer! I even bought a set of sights and a Turkey choke for my 12 guage cheaper localy. I thought it may have been my dealer has not adjusted his 08 prices yet but he told me he had.
I still love Midway for stuff I cant get here. Just seems to high.

Handgun Guy,

If their prices are indeed a little higher than I'll still pay it! For a one stop store that'll have everything you need is a small price to pay over if you drive to your local shop and find out they don't have it in stock. THEN you can have it ordered or just wait for them to decide to put it on the shelve in which case you'll lose time. If he orders it for you he's going to charge you extra anyway in which case MIGHT cost you more.

I'll stay with Midway. They've had everything I needed for years.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
271 Posts
Supply and demand is most of the problem. Demand by China has increased significantly. In Feb 2000, Copper was selling for $1,900 a ton. Now it is about $7,200 a ton. Lead went from $500 a ton to $2,600 a ton duning the same period. I don't know the brass prices. My info came from research mainly from the London Metals Exchange.

Lead may be coming down soon as new processing plants come online increasing supply. I don't know about new copper or brass plants.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Supply and demand is most of the problem. Demand by China has increased significantly.
Although you are absolutely right about the rise in cost of commodities like metals, which has clearly raised the prices on ammo, etc. I personally am sick of letting China fulfill all of their needs at the cost of the USA. Yes, it means short term gains for our country, but as everyone can see we are now facing a recession and our GNP in no longer number one in the world. And who has the number one GNP in the world today, yep you guessed it, China.:barf:

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Complaining about Midways prices here isn't going to do you much good. What you should do is send them a quick note every time you place an order with someone else, for something that they also sell, and indicate why you ordered it elsewhere.

Whether Midway's price was too high, or their shipping charges were ridiculous, or whatever. Maybe Midway is content with beign "high", but if they keep hearing it and losing sales over it, they'll see just what it is costing them.

Apparently though, there are a fair amount that are content with overpaying? :confused:

I've ordered $20 items from 3 different places before and paid 3 separate shipping charges and still ended up paying $8 less than if I had just bought all 3 items from Midway to begin with. $8 may not seem like much on a single order, but start adding it up over multiple orders, month after month, and the savings start to add up.

On a side note, why do all price discussion threads devolve into a commentary on the world commodity markets? Get over it folks. Ammo and component prices don't adjust daily like gasoline. It's going to be a long time before you see ammo and component prices drop significantly, if at all.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I quit buying from Midway because their shipping and "Special Handling" charges are so high. I find Brownells to be much more reasonable and place several orders a year from them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
midway

I used to buy everything I could from em. My son used to work for em. They fired him for a petty reason. Started buying from Grafs and Sinclair. I shoot target .22 rimfire a little and theyre way high on their target .22 ammo. Doug

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I buy alot from MidwayUSA. What I like most about them is their
website. It's intuitive and responsive. I shop other websites as
well, but most often buy from them.

Joe

1 - 20 of 23 Posts