1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, After much anticipation I finally brought my new SS Mil-Spec to the range yesterday. I had never fired it so I really didn't know what to expect. Let me start out by saying this gun ran flawlessly, eating up the FMJ 230gr. factory ammo. Not even a hiccup after about 200 rounds. When I first got the gun I felt the trigger needed work as it was a "little gritty" and heavy for me. That seemed to improve with each magazine I shot. My question is regarding my accuracy with the gun. Target was at 7 yards and I was generally all over the place. If there was any pattern at all it was that I was low and to the left by 4 to 6 inches. (The gun has standard 3 dot sights) I was pretty disappointed to say the least. Before I hear "More Practice" let me say that I also had my old Browning Hi-Power (circa 1950's) with a small blade-style front sight with me. I had never shot this gun before and I proceeded to shoot consistent 4 inch groups with the same brand factory ammo. Of even greater concern was that I then loaded up my S&W Model 60 2 inch snubnose with some of my hand loads. (I have shot this gun quite a bit over the years) and I once again was able to drill my target with fairly good consistency. (If any of you are familiar with this revolver then you would probably agree with me that the sight picture here is basically non-existent.)

Do you guys think the accuracy will improve with more rounds through it? Would swapping out the sights make much of a difference? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. -Steve

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
1. "All over the place" when firing off sandbags?

2. "All over the place" when shooting one or two handed?

If #1 it's the pistol or ammo.

If #2 it's STILL the pistol or ammo -- just like golf it ain't us, it's our clubs! :biglaugh: (Of course, low/left is classic trigger jerk. Compensating for that massive .45ACP recoil! But that's the pistol's fault too.)

-- Chuck

·
Registered
185 Posts
more practice!!! :)

First off - the sights on a Mil-Spec aren't all that bad IMO.

I ran into a similar problem a few months back when I purchased an M&P 9mm - shots ALL over the targhet at 7 yards. So bad I shoved it into the safe and bought a Glock 17. Much better, but still nothing like the SAs I have (which have no accuracy work, BTW).

Long story short - less than a thousand rounds later (and learning that damned striker trigger system!) and the groups have tightened up nicely. AND - it has improved my groups with any 1911 I shoot. Can't ask for more than that:)

I also picked up a new Mil-Spec last month. Like the OP - heavy trigger out of the box (which improved quite a bit after the first range session.) It will chew 2" holes at 7 yards.

FWIW - you MAY be milking shots with a "lower left" grouping - or it could be the sights.

Two things:

Shoot it off a rest
Have someone else at the range shoot it

Then get back to us with the results.

jm

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Info published on this and other Forums from Springfield, suggest that the G.I./Mil-Spec should shoot groups less than 5" from at rest at 25 yds. That would imply a group-size of about 1 1/2" at 7 yds.

Springfield sent me a test target after some warranty work on the trigger and it showed a 1.4" group at 25 yds. I don't believe its a sub 2" gun, but I'm confident its less than a 5" gun.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
My new stainless mil-spec and my new parkerized GI both give me sub 2" groupings at 31ft using PMC Starfire 230gr JHP carry ammo. I broke both in using Blazer Lawman, 750 rounds, with groups averaging 2.02 - 2.17" at 31ft.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I am going to take a wild stab in the dark here and hedge a bet that your trigger pull is way over spec. When I first got my Mil-Spec I damn near had to put a foot on it to pull the trigger. I do not have a scale, but it was really heavy. Sent it off to SA for some other work and had them adjust the trigger to factory (4.5 - 5) I believe. Difference was immediate when I got it back. Groups were much, much tighter. I would suggest sending the gun off to SA and ask them to adjust the trigger.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am going to take a wild stab in the dark here and hedge a bet that your trigger pull is way over spec. When I first got my Mil-Spec I damn near had to put a foot on it to pull the trigger. I do not have a scale, but it was really heavy. Sent it off to SA for some other work and had them adjust the trigger to factory (4.5 - 5) I believe. Difference was immediate when I got it back. Groups were much, much tighter. I would suggest sending the gun off to SA and ask them to adjust the trigger.
+1 on that
If you're certain that it's not you, then ship it. While it's there you could see about a barrel bushing. That and a couple of other things makde my Mil-Spec shoot 2-3" groups at 25 yards off of a bag.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
On both my new Mil-Spec and GI 1911's from S/A, according to the gauge, trigger pull on the Mil-spec comes in at 4.63lbs while the GI is 4.93. LOL, compared to my newest S&W tactical rail 1911 who's trigger pull from the factory comes in at just over 3lbs.

I prefer a 3lb trigger pull on comp guns, but for carry and SD weapons I prefer 4.5 to 5lbs for legal reasons, especially on a single action.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts