1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as of now, I have approximately 700 rounds through my Mil Spec. About 150 of them were hollow points. 100 of those were 230gr Winchester Ranger and the rest were split between 185gr Winchester Silvertip and 230gr Gold Dot. I posted an earlier thread (I believe in the ammo forum) about how when firing the Ranger rounds, nearing the end of my session, the last round or 2 would not feed. They would just sit on top of the mag. For all of these rounds I have used just the 2 factory mags that came with the box (I have since ordered more). Some forum members felt that it was a weak mag spring that caused the failure, and not the round itself. I agreed, considering how many rounds have been through only 2 mags. But then I tried the Silvertip and Gold Dot and, IIRC, only had one, maybe 2 failure to feeds. So I figured ok, still a weak mag spring. But then later, at a separate range session, I used 100 rounds of plain Jane Winchester 230gr FMJ, with the same 2 factory mags, without any failures of any kind. Can someone enlighten me? I would like to use hollow points for carry (as soon as the state of Texas decides to give me my CHL). Currently, the pistol sits bedside loaded with 230gr Winchester FMJ.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Golden Sabres

I carry plain old FMJ in my gun, but I have heard the Remington Golden Sabres feed like ball. If your mags are working with FMJ ammo I would not think they are the problem. As others have posted the Wilson mags are good, but try one in your gun before you buy a bunch of them as most, but not all guns like them.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
some guns have problems with the more blunt nosed profile of bullets like the Winchester Ranger...whereas the more "ball like" profile of Remington Golden Sabers seem to feed in anything...I have used mostly Speer Gold Dots with success in my Mil-Spec but their profile is somewhat blunt too...
Bill

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
+1 on the TAP. Sounds like a weak mag spring though. Might want to look into new springs. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
One of the things I do when I buy a 1911, is vacuum seal the factory mags and put them back into the box for filing.

Then I use nothing but my personal stock of mags which are:

1. Pachmayr * fave
2. Chip McCormick Power Mags * fave
3. Mec-Gar mags
4. Springfield 7 round mags
5. Colt stainless mags
6. Kimpro Tac-Mag * fave

But with all these, I install extra power springs and followers. In 39 years, I've never had problems with any mags. The Pachmayr mags I have are from the 80's. I have Colt mags that are even older than that.

I have a large supply of Checkmate government contract mags, those work great for range play and casual plinking.

I've got tons of Springfield mags I've purchased with their coupon lol, hundreds.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'll try different ammo first. Probably take a FMJ round to Cabelas and compare the profile with some of the hollow points. I have 4 brand new Springfield mags ordered from the coupon, so I'll give those a whirl. And If that fails, then I suppose I'll try one different mag at a time until something magical happens.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I also highly recommend Federal 230grain HST bullets - the 2nd generation HydraShoks (HydraShokTwo)...

They work GREAT in my SS Springer GI-1911. :rock:

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Springfield recommends Golden Sabres.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Yes.

I have 25 Metalforms that I use for my range mags.

·
Registered
146 Posts
milspec and hollow points

My new stainless milspec would not feed RangerT JHP. It was OK with Silvertips and Hydra Shocks, but not RangerT. It would feed Ranger ok until the LAST one or two rounds.

Off to Springfield on their dime. Ream chamber, polish feed ramp and breech face, but still no RangerT. There was improvement, but not 100% reliable.

Off to Springfield the second time, same work done, except now the ramp is like a mirror, and a heavier recoil spring was installed.

Just returned from the range and 200 rounds of RangerT, Hydra shocks, and Silvertips fired. Mags used include Wilson Combat, Colt, two kinds of Mec-Gar, and orginal springer mags. Also used the Wilson ten-rounders.

Gun was flawless.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts