1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the SA manual does not recommend it, but is it safe to use a Colt .22 Conversion Unit on a Mil-Spec 1911?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was thinking you should ask Colt. I have a Springfield Champion Milspec with the 4 inch barrel. Marvel said that their unit 1 would work with it. I still haven't got it yet though. They are a bit backlogged.

So I don't know if it will work until I try it myself.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wonder why the manual doesn't reccomend it? It obviously couldn't be because of the wear and tear a .22LR is going to put on the .45 frame.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Based on what I remember, it's a liability issue. Apparently the hammer can ignite a .22 rimfire from the half-cock position, defeating the safety which was designed for the .45. Others may correct me on this.

Regardless, I've got a Wilson/Marvel .22 conversion on order at my local gun shop.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I did not know about the liability issue so I put a Ciener conversion kit on mine and run it through it's paces every once in a while..works like a charm and fun to shoot..also have a Colt conversion kit but don't like the way the floating chamber leads up so it is just for looks at this point..hope that helps..all5x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts