1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from the resell value of the Colt which I know would be better, which would you get and why?

So far the nly .45 I own is a Springfield GI---I LOVE IT!!!! --best 375.00 I ever spent on ANYTHING--hands down.

Dont own a Colt or any Colts for that matter.

Anyone here own both a Colt 70 and a Springfield MilSpec? Which is a better performer.

Then the next issue----- Do I get a SS or a Park version in the Springfield. The Colt has the blued and SS model, but no parkerized model...that blued Colr sure is pretty though......

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
well, im very happy with my GI45 from springfield. its a keeper in my book.

i havent had one of the new 70 series colts, but i have owned the originals.

the new ones sure look nice, and if you can get one at a decent price than there is no reason not too.

its pretty much whichever you want.

if it were me, i would prob get the colt, just because i like colts, and i love the way the new 70 series look. they catch my eye more than any other brand. but if i got it i would treat it like a carry gun, not a safe queen.. so you need to decide what you want it for.

i have the parked GI45, just because i dont like stainless full size 1911's. if you like stainless there is no reason to not get one. i use my GI45 as an everything gun, on duty, off duty. i dont mind the scratches the parked gets, because thats gonna happen with a carry gun. it adds character... lol

as far as the colt, again i would go with the blued, but in this case it would be more because your right, the blued colts sure are purdy!

now, the colt is not supposed to have MIM parts in it, and that matters to some people too. i dont mind the MIM parts in my springer, cause they have worked fine through lots of shooting, and even more dry firing.

think of it this way, you have a springer, so why not go with colt.. if you decide you want another 1911 later ( and you will!!!) the springer is cheaper and you wont have to save up as long.. lol

i dont mind that my springer says brazil on it.

they should both be good shooters.. these are my thoughts...

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I like Springfield but for a more classically styled 1911 I wouldn't get one that has Brazil stamped on it.
That made in Brazil stamp is a mark of quality.
Imbel is a premier manufacturer of high quality military weapons.
One of the best in the world. That's why Springfield chose them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That made in Brazil stamp is a mark of quality.
Imbel is a premier manufacturer of high quality military weapons.
One of the best in the world. That's why Springfield chose them.
I don't disagree with it being a quality part. But Brazil doesn't have a monopoly on quality, and for me on such an American icon as the 1911, I prefer to have it 100% Made In The USA if possible.

Function-wise as a shooter you can't go wrong with the Springfield, but the Colt will shoot and have more collector value in my opinion. Whether or not that is worth the extra cost is debatable. Both are great choices.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I freaking love my Mil-spec i just bought. It has taken place of my CQB Elite currently. It just has such a great organic no BS about it that I love. Not to mention I am a sucker for a Park. finish.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Aside from the resell value of the Colt which I know would be better, which would you get and why? So far the nly .45 I own is a Springfield GI---I LOVE IT!!!! --best 375.00 I ever spent on ANYTHING--hands down. Dont own a Colt or any Colts for that matter. Anyone here own both a Colt 70 and a Springfield MilSpec? Which is a better performer. Then the next issue----- Do I get a SS or a Park version in the Springfield. The Colt has the blued and SS model, but no parkerized model...that blued Colr sure is pretty though......
Both are fine guns with solid reputations going. Both would do the job. Both should bascially perform and hold up well.

Springer has a good gun at a good price with great warranty and service to back it up.

Colt is Colt.....the "original" with that long term value added on.

One grab you over the other? Get what appeals and what you want in the end as again, both are solid guns in 1911 land.

Good luck and good shooting to you. :rock:

·
Registered
666 Posts
I am considering the same for my next 1911.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Get a colt. If you don't love it, you can always sell it and get a better Springfield.

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
I paid $375 for a Springfield GI that I later sold (breaking even). Obviously a bad move, as you certainly won't find them for that price anymore.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have 2 Colts Series 70s and 1 Springfield GI which I inherited from my Dad. The GI is a great gun and has had no problems I have experienced. That being said, when I spend what little range time I get shooting a 1911, I want to shoot a Colt - IMHO

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
Colt = better investment
Springfield = better value

That's sorta been the consensus for awhile.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Colt - 3 MIM parts, lots of forged/barstock parts, better fit
Springfield - full of MIM

The Springfield makes a good base gun for a custom project, but unless you plan to build a custom gun, I would definitely go with the Colt. In fact, the Colt is probably the best 1911 under a thousand bucks right out of the box.

Up until last month, I had never owned a Colt 1911. I have since then purchased both a Defender and a stainless Commander, and have been impressed with fit and finish right out of the box. The Commander is going to need some cleaning up to be perfect, and both are getting carry bevel packages (the Defender is actually at Springfield Custom right now, and the Commander will go there soon). But, the fitment of parts and slide/frame fit is nice, and does not need improvement. The Commander has a slightly uneven trigger undercut and magwell bevel, but that can be fixed and I think it's not unexpected in a sub-$1,000 1911.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Having owned two newer series 70 Colts and one Springfield USGI model, I feel ok to chime in. The QC on both of the Colts was severely lacking while the USGI Springfield was flawless, everything machined straight etc. The colts had crooked slides in relation to the dust covers and the recoil spring holes were also machines visibly off center. I'll actually be looking at another springfield shortly, not sure if another USGI or might even go high speed with one of the fancy ones.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
For awhile I thought I wanted a Mil-Spec .45 and had the chance to look at three. Two used, one new, at two different dealers.

At one dealer I had the chance to compare a used Mil-Spec to a used series '80 Colt.

The Colt just felt more like a 1911 should feel. It was priced $150.00 more than the Mil-Spec. I just had a hard time warming up to the Mil-Spec because they all felt rough.

I bought neither. :confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
My first 1911 was a parkerzed Springfield G.I.. My second was a Colt WWI reissue. I just got a Stainless Springfield Mil-Spec.

All three are just what I wanted. The parkerzed Springfield G.I is my WWII type weapon. The Colt is my WWI weapon. The Mil-Spec is my custom 1911.

I can't find fault with any of them.

My Colt is for sale for now. If it doesn't sell soon, I'll take it off the market.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I own both. If I had to choose I would pick the Colt for quality of parts, finish, and resale value. Plus, I just don't care for that line on my line on my Milspec (MADE IN BRAZIL). I find HARTFORD, CONN USA more appealing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts