1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Mil-Spec. I put about 100 rounds through it and the slide does not lock back at least 50% of the time. Should I shoot it some more or send it back?

·
Registered
248 Posts
That is mag related. Most of the SA mags I have used were not worth the gunpowder used to shoot them.

Get some Wilson 47's or Chip McCormick power mags and your problem will be solved.:D

·
Registered
146 Posts
rack the slide with the mag in it, an empty mag of course and see if it will go to action lock. if not look inside and see if the mag follower is pushing on the slide release lever.

most 1911 problems can be solved without sending them back.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My mill spec will not lock back with wilson mags either. It will with the supplied mag[cheap]. The mag catch seems partly to blame here though I am not sure. I have swapped out a colt slide release and same situation.

I had a full custom from them some years ago and it was very expensive. Same gun as what shortly later was publicized as one that got them a govt. contract due to an excellent performance test. Mine had to go back for this same problem. - funny that they told me that a minor engagement at the slide/stop was desireable but they would fix it if I wanted. It ran perfectly after the 'adjustment'.
I too would also like to know if someone can help with this. I'm not sending mine back.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The notch for the slide release probably wasnt cut deep enough. Check to see how much of the slide release is engaging the slide. I bet its not as much as it needs. If you have a digital camera take a picture of the slide release when the slide is locked back.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It may be the slide stop itself. My ultra compact did that after the second trip to the range the mag was the only thing holding it open, pull the mag and the slide would drop. Sometimes even with the mag in it would not stay open. I am replacing mine with an Ed brown part. I am having some other work done to the gun and having that replaced as well. I could see clearly that the slide stop was at an angle. Even locking it open by hand would not work it would stay for a second then slip and close.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called Springfield today and they said that they could not guarantee that the gun will work with McCormick or Wilson mags only the mag that they supply. They also said not to use 8rd mags and that was what was most likely causing the problem.They said I should only use a 7rd mag. If I had know this before I bought the gun I probabbly would not have purchased it. I guess they should put a warning label on their .45's.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I found on my milspec that the plunger that engages the slide
stop was too long and the spring pressure was also too much.
I removed about a coil off the spring and a little off the plunger.
Just a little though. Sorry if i used the wrong terminology...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone know where I could get springs and followers like the ones in the Springfield mags? I had some Kimber mags that had the same type follower and I replaced them with shooting star followers and now I can't find the old ones.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I called springfield and tried to buy some mag springs that
come with the supplied magazine because I found it to be a good
spring...They suggested that I contact Metalform, imagine that.
The followers that I use is the Metalform rounded one that is available from Brownells.
I replaced the follower that came in the factory mag with one.
I am very pleased with 7 rnd. Metalform mags that have the round follower and now I am going to try the extended 8 rounder
for IDPA.(with round follower)

I have been full circle with my SA milspec.
Wilson mags are the finest, but not with my milspec.
CMC shooting stars,powermags or whatever, did not work either.
Different slide stops...
PM me if you wish I have been down that road...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mag dilemma

The part of the follower which engages the slide stop varies in height between wilson and these metalform mags. This is why some mags 'shoot' out of the mag well with more force when released than others. It does not explain why our springfields do not work within this range of follower to slide stop height.

Bore height of mag catch, catch or slide stop parts [ tried different slide stop], frame dimensions, someone knows and will hopefully set us on the right course here.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went and shot my mil-spec again today, this time with the metalform mag that came with it. It functions fine. But with the McCormick mags it still does not hold the slide back 100% of the time. Does anyone know if the 8rd metalform or Springfield mags work with the mil-spec. The people at Springfield told me that the 8rd mags have reliability problems. Also who is a good source for metalform mags? What stinks is that I had several metalform mags that I put shooting star followers in, now I can't find the old followers. It is also a bummer that I will have to have mags especially for the Springfield.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Try some army surplus mags. I bought two at a gun show, and both worked and held the slide back fine. New in the wrap, less than $10.00 each. Only 7rd though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just recently purchased a Mil spec . I have 5 mags for it. The supplied mag, and 4 ea USGI .45 7rd mags. All was flawless. I also have 3 ea Chip M mags for a Colt I have.They are 8 rd mags with the shooting star follower. I will have to try them and see if they function well in the SA. I just ordered 4 ea Mec Gar 8rd mags from CDNN. Hope I ain't going to regrett it. WarDawg

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have a loaded SS, I have used the supplied 7 rounders (2), 8 round mec-gar(2) and one 8 round CMC. After about 500 rounds I have had only a early engagement of slide release with the CMC.'

Each pistol has it's quircks.

If yours fuction 100% with 7 rounders, that sure beats 50% with 8.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Agreed. All guns have their quirks, 1911s usually more so than other types of handguns. If your pistol doesn't work well with one type of magazine, but works fine with another, just use the second type. If it has problems with several brands, I'd send it back and see what they can do.

Andy

·
Registered
324 Posts
My 2001 Mil-Spec functions 100% with Metalforms and CMC Shooting Star 8 rounders. Hell, I bought a few Metalform Stainless mags from Midway because the worked in my gun and they were $12 a piece! If it ain;t broke...
Street

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bought 5-additional Springfield 7-round mags (to complement the 2 that came with my mil-spec) and all function just fine.

Safe shooting, smity

1 - 20 of 21 Posts