1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mil-Spec seems to be consistantly shooting low. It shoots .75-1.00 inches low at 21 feet. Does anyone else experience this? I'm wondering if the factory fixed sights have something to do with it because they are so tall. I am thinking about installing some Heinie Straight Eight sights on it and perhaps this will help....Thoughts?

·
Registered
118 Posts
My Springfield Champion shoots about a foot low at 10 yards if I use 165 gr. bullets or any +p ammo. If I stick with 230 gr. it is dead on at 10 yards. You didn't say what ammo you were using. You may want to try standard 230 gr.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I first shot my 01' loaded, point of impact was 2' low. I took a flat file to the front sight a little at a time until P.O.I. was in the ten ring at 25 yards (from the bench.) If your not sure about filing down the sight, replacing it with a shorter ramp will do the same trick.

Ryno-

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Well I'll offer this but its not guaranteed to work every time. I recently replaced the barrel bushing in my fullsize Springfield with a Wilson Match Grade barrel bushing (the type that have to be fit to the slide) and it raised my point of aim by about 1.5" at 25 yards.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I bought a Springfield "Loaded" in April. It consistently shot low (around 5" at ten yards). It was a real pain trying to guess how high to aim in order to hit my intended target at any distance beyond 10 yards.

There is a formula to figure out how much to change the sights, and I would have had to file the front sight clean off!!!

I sent it back to them on June 11 and I'm still eagerly awaiting its return. I hope you find an easer fix!

------------------
Todd Dow

·
Registered
347 Posts
My mil spec shot about 5" low at about 10 yds, I took a file to it and carefully shaved some off,about 0.52, if I remember right,That did the trick

·
Registered
137 Posts
I can understand the frustration you fellows have with fixed sights. My carry gun ( Taurus Millenium ) shoots low and to the left, and I don't think I can do anything about it. My Springfield is another story however. I have a loaded with adjustable sights. They are great. I can't understand why anybody would not insist on adjustable sights if they want an accurate weapon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 2001 1911A1 Loaded shoots low, too, about 4 to five inches at 15 yards.

[This message has been edited by Cawdor (edited 07-26-2001).]

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
TSH

I agree with Bear One, before you do anything with your sights try 230 gr FMJ ammo first. Also be sure your pistol is broken in as well. So clean your pistol, then shoot a minimum of 300 rounds of the FMJ ammo without cleaning the pistol. If the pistol still shoots as low as you mentioned then think about adjusting the sights.

Tdow and TSH
Neither of you mentioned how experienced you are shooting a 1911 pistol. Shooting 4-5 inches low is a sign that you may be flinching just at the hammer falls. I suggest that each of you shoot your pistols and make sure they are worn in before adjusting the sights. I also suggest you use slow fire to do this. Concentrate on the front sight and use a short smooth stroke to pull the trigger. Using one of the photo realistic targets with the hostage can be a real help in this. Use one of these targets and imagine that the hostage is someone near and dear to you, and you must shoot head shots. Just concentrate on the front sight and make every shot count. If your pistol still shoots low after 200 rounds then sight adjustment may be necessary.

I hope this helps.
Str8_Shot

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
You might try several BRANDS as well...Not all ammo is the same, even box to box...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts