1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've been lurking on this site a couple of months now and finally bought a mil-spec at a gunshow last weekend.Just wanted to know if anyone else has one and how do you like it,has it given you any problems? This my first pistol and was wondering what to expect.The ammo that I will be using is the winchester 185gr.FMJ(target/range) and some 230 gr.FMJ that I got at the show.Don't worry I will report how my range trip went.
Thanks,
poncho

[This message has been edited by poncho (edited 03-11-2001).]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok went and shot it today and had four failure to feed with the winchester ammo the round would hang about half way in the chamber.I was using the Springfeild mag and two Chip McCormick's 8 round mags that I got at the gunshow.The winchester ammo has the flat nose and the other ammo which has the rounded nose shot everytime out of both mags.

The weird part about the winchester ammo is that it worked allright for about the first five mags then after that would not chamber but would work allright with the 230gr round nose ammo.I guess I know what I'm going to feed this puppy.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mine likes hardball best, but will shoot Glasers, Hornady and Hydrashock, but NOT Magtech or semi-wadcutter (flat point for target). I love mine because it's my only "series 70" 1911. I can actually take it all the way apart (well, not the plunger tube) and put it back together. Still haven't worked up the nerve to take apart a series 80 Colt.

Also, This is the configuration that served our military for so long. Kinda historical.

Regards

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Aren't these pistols great...Mine LOVES MAGTECH...'cause they're cousins
(both from Brazil) and Speer Lawman 230 grain and Hydra-Shoks and Cor-Bon...Hates Gold_dot and really ain't too crazy 'bout UMC...(mostly I don't like the UMC 'cause it's dirty as a pig-sty...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mute
They round would get stuck about halfway in the chamber,I would eject the mag and pull the slide back and shake the gun and the round would fall out.

gyp_c
now you tell me about UMC, just bought a box and was going to try them out

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Footnote to above:

Went out to check for feed and ejection after installing new ejector and working with springs...Still havin' probs...Although, at this point, I know some are extractor related...New Brown just came in...I'll install tonight...Anyway...S&B and Speer Lawman still having probs with evrything...FTFeed, FTEject, stove pipes, etc...Changed out recoil spring form factory(22lb) to (20) better! Worked with extractor a bit at the range...Better still...By the time I was done...I had my 3 main 8rd SS CMC functioning perfectly...
I stopped right there...I still have an extractor prob and I'll eliminate that tonight and start over next time...Only 4 days 'til match...I really wanna' make this one...I did try a few rounds of my carry loads just to see if THEY worked!
Voila! Instant fix...No bobbles or FTF of any kind...I did notice that the rounds did not eject very far...Makes me wonder if I don't have an ammo prob here...Boy those Cor-Bon and Triton can rack that slide! he main thing is they were accurate AND functioned perfectly in the pistol...I feel a little better after this...I still wish my smith would get in touch...he must be out of town...He could have all this straightened out in no time...
Fingers crossed and back to the fray...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Shouldn't you have about a 16# spring in that gun? I think that is the factory weight. Sounds like it is sprung too heavy and the ammo can't function the gun.
Bill

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I bought a S.A.1911a1 mil spec. in Sept. 2000. So far I have fired 800 rds, all 230 gr fmj from the following maunufactures,Seller & Bellot, Speer Lawman,and American Eagle. I have only factory S.A. 7rd mags. Once in a while,I think about eight times so far, a round will get hung up in the chamber where it will not go in all the way. I have to push the slide forward with my thumb to get the round chambered. Im thinking about going up on the recoil spring with a Wolf #22. I never had an ejection problem. Other than the feed problem its a joy to shoot.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I run a Mil-spec with all 230 fmj loads and a 18.5lb recoil spring. It's perfect for my pistol. In fact,I run 18.5 in all my .45 5" guns. A 16lb will work but it throws the brass further and beats up the shok buff. Try different springs with your loads, you want the empties to land 4 or 5 feet behind to the right. IMO

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
3Gunner...good eye...

...This is a Champion model = Commander size

...It comes with a 22...the Compact comes with a 24!
It is definately stout!
Helps with those 230 grain Cor-Bon "seeds from an angel"heehee...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Poncho,
Try this. Remove the slide from the frame. Insert a cartridge under the extractor. It should feel like about 3lb of pressure to push it in. Now keep the cartridge horizontal and rotate the slide. The cartridge should flop around a tiny bit but not dislodge from the extractor. If it doesn't move at all and requires a bit of pressure just to move the bullet end of the cartridge, than the extractor has too much tension.

If the tensions seems fine then there are other things that could be a problem.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Before you do anything,runabout 500rds of roundnose through it to break it in.Then try HP and flat noses.Mute's test is good to do.High extractor pessure is a good cause for your prob,but it could also be a breechface or throat prob.My first mil-spec would eat up semiwadcutters,but the next one was very picky without being tuned.One SA I got had too narrow a breachface,and nothing worked.These were earlier production pieces,so don't worry much.Their quality has gotten much better in the last few years.I'd say you need an extractor adjustment,and maybe a little throat work.An 18.5lb recoil spring is tops if the gun is set up correctly,but the 16lb original should be reliable also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went out today and ran another hundred rounds of 230gr round nose thru the gun and no FTF. I guess it just to be broken in a bit. Will keep the stock spring in for now,thanks for all your help, will change the spring out after a few thousand.

poncho

1 - 18 of 18 Posts