how 'bout this stuff?

this stuff is LRN
I'm told it's National Guard training ammo....thus the lead slug instead of FMJ

..L.T.A.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you look at the base of the round, I have seen the 2 digit date stamped on the case on mill ammo.

I did, but didn't understand any of it

I'm most interested if someone can determine where it was made.
Reason being, I live 3 miles from what's known as the Ravenna Arsenal.
It was an munitions plant built during WWII

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Ravenna_Joint_Military_Training_Center

I know Olin ran it for at least a short time.
if the ammo came from that plant, I'd like to buy a case of it "just to have because"

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Practically all of the major ammo plants ran the various arsenals at one time or another,IIRC the lead round nose load is from the late 70s early 80s when they closed up abunch of the NG armories they auctioned and sold a ton of ammo I picked up a bunch of 5.56 that was dated 69..68 wcc.it was great ammo the 45 that I saw was from about the same time frame and is great shootin ammo,thats not ww2 ammo because it would have a pack date on it,Most of the stamps are EC WCC..RP for the older stuff the few boxes of NG ammo I had shot good Cappi...nice find...I am jealous..lol

·
Registered
835 Posts
Cappi, There will be a code on the base of the cases. It will be something like WCC 82 - which would mean that the ammo was manufactured by Western Cartridge Company in 1982. Just tell me what the code is an I can decipher it for you. I feel that the first photo will be WCC 82. The other photo certainly has one carton of TW (Twin Cities) ammo probably with a WWII date but the other cartons are of an unknown source (at least until you find the headstamp code) since there is some obliterated information of the carton itself.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cappi, There will be a code on the base of the cases. It will be something like WCC 82 - which would mean that the ammo was manufactured by Western Cartridge Company in 1982. Just tell me what the code is an I can decipher it for you. I feel that the first photo will be WCC 82. The other photo certainly has one carton of TW (Twin Cities) ammo probably with a WWII date but the other cartons are of an unknown source (at least until you find the headstamp code) since there is some obliterated information of the carton itself.
Thanks Rick

looked at the FMJ

"WCC 84" is what's stamped on it

got some info on the other boxes (the LRN)
I'm told it's re-manufactured by Matre.
I looked at the headstamps and they're many different ones .
Got a handful in front of me.

headstamps are ;

WCC 75 MATCH
WCC 80 MATCH
WCC 79
WRA 67
WN FC 63
R A 66

...L.T.A.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Cappi, Sounds like Matre recycled surplus USGI brass and also recycled the old USGI cardboard cartons with the original manufacturing info obliterated. WRA is Winchester Repeating Arms, FC is Federal Cartridge and RA is Remington Arms. The cases also marked with "MATCH" were originally used with match ammo (either 230 grain match ball or 185 grain semi-wadcutter). I've shot much USGI WCC ammo and it is good quality ammo - pretty much like Winchester white box ammo. I can't tell you anything about ammo reloaded by Matre but it probably is acceptable quality.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts