1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think we should start a thread of military photos or links of the 1911 in training and service. I always enjoy seeing photos from WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, modern, or any other era of 1911 service. Even pictures of family members who may have served. There are even some recruitment and morale posters I've seen that feature the 1911. Another thing I've been looking for too is if anyone knows of old Department of Defense training movies that exist on the net. Every so often in WWII or weapon documentaries you can see the old films showing how to fire 1911s, Garands, and BARs.

·
Administrator
75,397 Posts
I was planning on starting a thread like this myself, but I was having trouble finding any decent pictures to use. Most that I see are just posed shots of guys standing around, and their 1911 pistol is simply inside the holster. I would like to see how many genuine photos of 1911s in action are out there. I suspect not many, because a) pistols were not used very often in combat, and 2) when they were things were usually too up-close and frantic for anybody to waste their time taking pictures!

In the meantime, here is a vintage training picture:

Reactions: Hired gun

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the first post DSK! It is hard to find them on the net. You see them a lot on documentaries and magazines. I suspect most are in archives. This is one I have a tunnel rat in Vietnam.

·
Administrator
75,397 Posts
Here's a few more.

Recent picture from Iraq:

One apparently a still from an old training video:

...and some vintage pictures from the navy.mil website. Again, note most pics are of nothing but holstered pistols.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow a left handed M7, any story on this pic OIF2? That looks like a standard 1911A1, not an MEU. Could it be a GI issue?

·
Premium Member
9,802 Posts

no 1911 here....just love this shot of our fairer gender ready to take names

one of our Australian brother humping it in Nam...1911 strapped on

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the first post DSK! It is hard to find them on the net. You see them a lot on documentaries and magazines. I suspect most are in archives. This is one I have a tunnel rat in Vietnam.

I used to know a guy that did the tunnel rat deal in vietnam. probably the scariest thing I can think of. "go down in that hole. if you feel something, pull the trigger."

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used to know a guy that did the tunnel rat deal in vietnam. probably the scariest thing I can think of. "go down in that hole. if you feel something, pull the trigger."
Those guys were hard core for sure. If I had to go, nothing I'd rather have than a .45. I've read that it had to play hell with your hearing though.

·
Administrator
75,397 Posts
Here are two old pictures from LIFE Magazine circa 1938. Note the heavy wear to the finish even though it was just a 20 year-old pistol at the time.

Something a bit more recent:

I believe these are Filipino soldiers being trained by US forces:

·
Administrator
75,397 Posts
Reactions: Hired gun

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Marine training

MEU service (1911A1 still the standard issued secondary weapon)

MEU 1911 pistols (Marine in-house 1911 bulit on original GI frame)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
These first three are from the punitive expeditions

This one is from WWI

Two of Col. Henry Mucci

These fellows were Brazilian air force

Major General George S. Patton

Richard Winters and Lewis Nixon

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Man, look at all those worthless bells and whistles, not to mention fluff on those MEU-(SOC) 1911s. If only those warriors knew better. :biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 228 Posts