1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Military competition shooting

I have never been in the military, but am curious as to the first 1911 competition shooting pistol in the armed forces. I think it was the 1929 .22 Ace or .38Super. But it probably was actually the basic .45ACP M1911. As theur are always those sharp shooters, who let their flying brass do the talking.

· Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The early 1911 was designed by a bunch of
the 9th Calvary serving in the Philippines.
They called back to the US and said we need
a semi auto, insteade of these junky 38ACP autos and SAA. They proclaimed during the testing of this pistol.

It must be dunked in a bucket of water before and after firing. The guy who answered the phone was thinking" But it is'nt fully automatic, why would it require the barrel be cooled?"

They also said one more thing before you hang up. It must have a thumb and a grip safety. Because even though we are fighting a war over here. We still can design weapons. Also just between you and me, we plan on stealing them all. And grinding off the US GOVERNMENT markings if it has any.

So the man announced the new weapon the 1911 which became the 1911transitional from 1924 to 1940. At which time the Marine devisions which were training at wherever said to call it a 1911A1. And to take some of the transitional models and crudely mark them. With there cheap military chissels the 1911A1.

Then came the war and since Colt employees were stealing 1 out of 3 1911A1s produced. The contractors said. I will make them and not you. You can make some but not all. John Moses Browning helped the 9th Cavary design the 1911. And a bunch of Army brass designed the A1 of 1940. So there you have it Redzone.

· Administrator
80,888 Posts
I assumed that's the way it was too, but I didn't say anything because I wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing it up.

Seriously, the the problem in answering the original question is knowing just when the "competitions" began. Army marksmen were showing off their skills since Concord Bridge.

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 04-07-2001).]

· Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes thats true it actually is a poor question. In that, like you say the earliest competition probably started before or after the Civil war. I got anxious for a response so I answered myself. Is that normal?

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,396 Posts
Do you mean competitive shooting events? The army was using issue pistols for competition until after WWII, I think. I know Patton used a stock, issue .38 Colt revolver in the Olympics, when everyone else was using specialized target pistols. I think the cavalry was actually the group holding-up the adoption of the auto pistol in the 1900-1910 period. They wanted something they could put into action with one hand, and cocked & locked hadn't yet been invented. It took the combined efforts of Browning, Colt and the U.S. Army to develop the 1911, and we can all be thankful that they stuck with it and gave us that great gun. Colt couldn't keep up with wartime demand because they were also making Browning's other great guns. It's kind of sad, that Colt used to be synonymous with U.S. military weapons, from cap & ball revolvers, Gatling guns, BAR's, to Thompsons, Ma Deuce, M16; now we've got an Italian pistol, a Belgian SAW - we still have the M-16, but it's as likely to be made abroad as in the U.S. Sorry to wander so far from the topic.

· Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In all true accounts the 1911 was designed by John Browning alone. The military wanted a larger caliber autoloader. And John B. designed the pistol and the ammo. The military and others such as Springfield Armory, took the 1911 and helped develop the A1. Everyone is a genius once the product is designed and developed. Just look at us 1911 owners and smiths. We all are enlightened by this mans genius and firearms creativity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.