1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Colt officer’s ACP for my next project. It has Millet high profile adjustable sights on it now. Why someone would that type of sight on a carry gun is beyond me. That was no big deal; I was going to replace them anyway. However when I got it home and took it apart I saw that it was the duel-crimp not the standard Colt (I have the tool for that one).

Now I’m looking at my options. I could go with another Millet, like there low profile set, the easiest solution. Or have a dovetail cut, but I think the slide would need to be welded up first.

I’m not a big fan of millet sights. If I had of realized the front sight was that type I don’t think I would not have bought the gun. I like the doing all the work on my guns myself but cutting a dovetail and welding is beyond me and I’m not going to buy the crimping tool for just one use.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Millett sights

I think you may be stuck with getting a dovetail cut. The dual crimp system takes up a lot of space, and if you are going to go to all the trouble of getting the slide welded up, get it cut for a dovetail. It also gives you more options for various sights, and allows you to change them if damaged.

·
Registered
23,251 Posts
I don't think a dovetail will clean up the dual crimp holes, or the sight blade cover what is left of them.
I have seen a couple of Millett dual crimps installed crooked. I think there is a Bubba around here who puts them on for his pals but does not cut a flat for it to stand on. One guy just had the slide nose shortened into the old bobcat conversion. I don't know what happened to the other.

I'd call Millett and see if they would crimp on a new front of the right height for a fixed rear, or recommend somebody who would.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Need to install Millett front sight

Hi all;

My 1911 also has a Millett brand dual-crimp front sight.
The sight flew off at the range and I lost it. Does anyone in the Minneapolis MN area have the Millett crimp tool I could use for a minute to install my new front sight?
Or know of a shop that has one?

·
Super Moderator
15,084 Posts
I'm in a very similar situation, needing a new front sight to work with the Millett series 100 high profile adjustable rear recently installed. Per phone conv. yesterday with Millett, they do not do sight installation work, but they will recommend someone in your area to do the work. Also, FYI, Millett does not make a dovetail front sight.

I've just about decided to have my friendly local gunsmith obtain a sight blank and make a front dovetail sight. Any other options/suggestions from the knowledgeable shooters here? (BTW, according to Millett and my calculations, a .312" sight height is required.)

Good shooting.....Rod.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a series 70 gov't that I bought used that originally had Millet dual crimps mounted. It is an easy fix for any competent gunsmith to weld up the holes from the dual crimp and mill the slide for a dovetail mount sight. Should also be relatively inexpensive, mine cost under $100 to replace the millet w/ a dovetailed and roll pinned front sight. I would have to agree that I just don't care for the Millet sights for carry and personally think dovetailed sights add a lot of versatility for not too much expense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.