1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it necesary to file or mill the small flat place for the sight to it on? I don't have access to a mill and The file method seems risky. Is the skirt too wide to sit properly on the round top slide?

·
Premium Member
11,770 Posts
Run away! Quick! Bad Ju Ju!

Seriously, I hope you are not considering the dual crimp sight. There are better options.

·
Registered
22,209 Posts
You got it BBB, I don't think I have ever seen a dual crimp on straight, even if the slide were flattened. Cross dovetails are better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No! I have already learned the hard way about them damn dual crimps. I picked up a brand new millet intallation tool at an auction for $75 bucks. I figured what the hey! I can at least use it to install new dual crimps on my one mistake when they shoot loose. The tool is the newer one that will install their stake ons too. I just hate to file on the slide unless it is absolutely necesary.

------------------
Guns don't kill people,
People kill people!

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I'll cast my vote for the dovetail front sights. If you don't have a gunsmith or machine shop in your area that will mill the dovetail, you can send the slide out and have it done. If you choose to do this make sure you send along the sight you are planing to use or specify what dovetail cut you want.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

[This message has been edited by Hunter Customs (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've staked on alot of Millet front sights. It's not for do-it-your-selfers.I use an MMC tool that I've had for 15-18 years.I will tell you how to do it if you want. Get the tenon down in the frame by working on the slide hole and the sight. Then take a pencil and make a line around the sight base. Remove the sight and file this area flat.Then clean the area and put some GREEN LOCTITE in the hole. Before you do any of this make sure you have funneled the inside of the slide hole with a dremel 1/8th carbide burr. Then smear the stake into the slide with a staking tool ( Brownells) and when it is done, sand the tenon smooth with a sanding drun and touch up with cold blue. I've never had one come off that I've installed. I have had Millet sights break off at the top, though. I'd use one of Georges MGW sights if it were me.They never fail and give you an excellent sight picture with Bo-Mars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts