1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Rogermac's advice and moved by rear sight over to the right a touch with a drift pin punch. That wasd the medicine! I went and tried the weapon out today and am very, very happy with it!! Again, no FTF's, no stovepipes, no jams, just smooth as silk shooting. Very accurate now. And I am very happy with this weapon.

My groups are about 1 inch at 20 feet. I also shot at a 1lb., 10 oz. coffee can full of wet sand and got penetration through with a quite larger exit hole. The round continued on through the body of an old Chevy there and into a mound of volcanic cinders. (This was with Wolf 230 gr.FMJ.) I am very impressed with this handgun. Yes, now I am very happy indeed!

------------------

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Glad to hear that it's working now. As a prospective Mil-Spec owner, good reports like this are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you do, come up to Flagstaff; we'll go shoot.

------------------

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also have a new mil-spec springfield.

I bought this gun new way back in April, but today is the first time I got around to shooting it. I've been taking it apart and putting it back together lots of times to make sure I understand how it works. This is my first 1911 and I have to say it is a little complicated to disassemble compared to the Glock, which was my first handgun.

It shot beautifully. At 7 yards I was right on (for me - I have unsteady hands and don't expect to ever get really tight groups); at 15 my groups were opening up, mostly high and left, but I was pleased with the trigger and the recoil did not seem bad at all. It points very naturally and makes big holes in the paper!

I mostly shot some hardball reloads, but also a few Federal EFMJ 200 grain +ps and Corbon +p 230 hollowpoints. There were no failures to feed or fire. Both the EFMJ and the Corbon seemed much hotter than the reloads, but I didn't really notice that much difference between the two premium rounds in noise or recoil.

The thing I really like about it is that you do really feel like you have a handful of gun. I may try carrying it, but it seems pretty heavy. I was thinking of getting either a "Summer Special" or a VM2.

Any recommendations on inexpensive range ammo?

And where are the most important places to lubricate? I put oil everyplace I could reach that looked like metal might rub on metal, but are there any especially important places?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kevan,

Might just take you up on that invite, but I don't know how long before I can pick up a 1911. Might have to bring some "mongrels" up with me, instead of a purebred.

Mac

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's ok, I started out with a Chinese made Tokarev 9mm. Just e-mail me whenever you're ready.

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts