1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for advice on a new trigger for my milspec. The trigger just seems extremely short and its hard for me to use the tip of my finger. I have the standard milspec in the parkerized finish. This weapons is being used mainly as a CCW.

Thanks, Jason

·
Administrator
74,628 Posts
You can use any aftermarket long trigger in your Mil-Spec, but many of them require some fitting to the frame. If you've never done that sort of thing before check with a gunsmith, as he can install it for you.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've dropped..

a Wilson Combat "Combat Match" trigger into two Springer Mil-Specs (My roomate like mine so much he asked me to put one in his)... pretty easy, just smoothed the bearing surfaces out a bit w/ the stones, and adjusted the overtravel screw. Made a huge difference.:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I will not be installing it myself, I have no 1911 smithing experience. I think Brownells has the Wilson match trigger, I will give that one a try.

Thanks, Jason

·
Banned
7,483 Posts
If you're going to use this as a carry pistol ensure the "match" trigger doesn't include prone to fail set setscrews. They're great on the range for limiting over travel and quick reset, but not so great in stressful situations where they've been known to defeat red locktite and fall out.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
778 Posts
Concerning the Set Screws...

While I have heard some concerns about the overtravel screws working loose, I haven't had this happen on the two with the wilson triggers I put in, and these pistols probably have about 1500 rds apiece through them since the mod. If it's still a concern, you can always peen them in place, or put a little loctite on it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Chuck S said:
If you're going to use this as a carry pistol ensure the "match" trigger doesn't include prone to fail set setscrews. They're great on the range for limiting over travel and quick reset, but not so great in stressful situations where they've been known to defeat red locktite and fall out.

-- Chuck
A very good point. Brownell's sells a trigger which has a built up pad in that area instead of a screw. It's fitted (by someone who knows how, of course) by filing this pad down to proper tolerence for the individual pistol. After that, no screws, no overtravel, & no worries.

·
Administrator
74,628 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder if this is one of those urban myths. Has anyone here ever actually had a set screw turn on them to the point it prevented trigger travel?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Springfield sells a trigger that would be assumed to be the same as the ones used in their loaded's? I'm not sure if this would be a better "fit" or anything. I may consider one myself just for "uniformity" since I'm used to the longer one on my loaded. Aside from obviously being shorter, the trigger is actually quite good on the new milspec.

·
Registered
778 Posts
DSK...

I too have often wondered if the overtravel screw issue is one of those "urban legends".. It seems like you would almost have to be as unlucky as one of the people described in one of our local Urban Legends, a man who is reputed to have been struck by lightning twice, and in the same place years apart!

:barf: :rock:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just took a fine stone and tweaked mine... no creep and its really crisp now. If you are uncomfortable doing it urself, take it to a smith and have them touch up the sear and hammer and it will be just fine and cheaper.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, but after some thought I have decided to stick with the stock trigger as it allows me to fit a gloved finger in with not problem. Given the fact that I am wearing gloves a majority of the time due to weather I think it would be smarter to stick with the short trigger.

Thanks, Jason

1 - 12 of 12 Posts