1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two reasons that I have found that make people want a paddle holster. #1 they like the easy on easy off feature and #2 they like the idea of using the holster without a belt.

For me, the combination of a heavy handgun and holster along with my cracker ass and no belt to support the weight of the rig, makes me feel like I might end up wearing my gun at ankle level if I move too fast.
For that reason I don't buy into reason to own #2.

Easy on and easy off convenience?? Now that’s an idea definitely worth pursuing.

In 1968 Bruce Nelson devised a system of a quick detachable, outside the waistband holster, but at the time nobody much saw a need for that concept. He re-introduced it in the early 90's as his model "Patriot", which he produced until his untimely death in 1995.

One of the best renditions of Bruces Patriot is the model Close Quarter Covert with Snap or CQC/s as produced by Alessi holsters. http://www.rfholsters.com/rfholsters/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=10 The main difference being, Alessi's version features fixed snap loops, while Bruce's original featured removable loops for matching different belt widths.

Recently I approached Sandy Froman, NRA board director and wife of the late Bruce Nelson about the possibility of us re-introducing the "Patriot" along with a few improvements of our own. We have since received her blessing.

Our version of Nelsons Patriot or NP-1 differs from Bruce's original in that the loops are moved closer to the gun (like Alessi’s) and the pouch is formed completely on the outside leaving the side that’s up against your body more or less flat (just like our models I-BAK and CC-AT). Most importantly, we have added a reinforced, padded hip plate that slides into the waistband for ease of positioning, comfort, added security and stability. The loops are interchangeable as was Bruce's original.

The NP-1 is NOT designed to be used without a belt, unless you wish to employ stripping your holster off your drawn weapon as part of your draw technique.

Sorry for the shameless plug folks, but the NP-1 is not on our website, yet and I thought maybe the folks here would like a peek.

Tony

Detail of backside of NP-1 with hip plate

[This message has been edited by T. Kanaley (edited 09-23-2001).]

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This a page out of the late Bruce Nelsons catalog circa 1990 featuring his model Patriot. I thought I would throw this in for those that are interested in that sort of stuff.

------------------
Milt Sparks Holsters, Inc.
www.miltsparks.com
[email protected]
Second Best is not an option

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Tony, that is a really good looking holster. Whydja have to post the pictures? I can't afford any more holsters and how would I decide which one to use? I have hard enough of a time deciding now.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited 09-23-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
13,606 Posts
Damn you Tony. Now I'm going to be broke from buying your holsters. How much is that NP-1 and how long is the wait? What guns is it available for?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Tony,

When is this going to be available? I was going to order another Versa-Max for my Colt Commander but I might just wait.

Good looking holster!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike, Harry, Jim, Ricky, John, Luigi,
Thanks!

I especially appreciate the kind words from Lou, cause as you all know, this holster will compete directly with his excellent CQC/s. Shows alot of class.

Until I get the page up on our website, our price schedule on this holster, will be the same as our CC-AT. The shell cordovan and shark option is P.O.R. The NP-1 is available for ordering right now and is subject to our current backlog.

After I played with this holster a bit, I concluded that a slight modification to the design might make it a good ladies holster as well. We can special bend the shank of the hip pad, or add more padding to it, to help push the butt of the gun out from the body a bit taking it out of their ribcage. We will also offer the holster in a straight drop as an option, which most ladies seem to prefer.

I'll just add that the hip plate really adds to the convenience of the NP-1.

Without even having to loosen your belt, you slide the pad into your waistband, move and position the holster until its just right and then slide the loops up under the belt to fasten. You can do this in seconds with just one hand.

With a traditonal pancake or belt slot design, you have to thread the belt through the holster and then hope that when your buckle is fastened the holster is in the proper place. If not, then you have to un-do your belt to re-adjust. That is the main reason I've not adapted myself to OWB carry till now. I was just to lazy to put up with the hassle, not to mention that sometimes I have to remove my holster several times a day.

Course, you already knew that didn't you, Lou!

------------------
www.miltsparks.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
940 Posts
Can someone e-mail those photos my way? For some reason, I can't access most photo posts using this computer. I've been having the same problem with Tony's website.

Is there a computer doctor in the house?

·
Super Moderator
13,606 Posts
Originally posted by Mute:
Tony, what do you expect the delivery time to be for the NP-1 holster?
Tony said: "The NP-1 is available for ordering right now and is subject to our current backlog."

Sounds like he's saying 10-12 weeks.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hey Tony,

How high does the pistol ride in the NP-1 compared to my Watch Six? Looks pretty close, but maybe a tad bit higher.

Mac

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mac,
They (the WS-1 and NP-1) are pretty close in both degree of angle and height. I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference in use.

Mute,
6 to 12 weeks on delivery right now.

Thanks.

Tony

------------------
www.miltsparks.com
[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
13,606 Posts
Tony,
Stop it !!!!!

I can't take it. You're going to make a poor man out of me. What other guns is the NP available for?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ricky,
Sorry about that! Thats sorta liken to pouring a drink in front of a drunk. I shouldn't tempt people like that.

I always base our new stuff on the 1911 first, cause thats what I tend to carry. It's easy enough to adapt a design to work with other weapons once the bugs are worked out.

We'll probably make the NP for most of the more popular semi-autos and maybe a few revolvers.

L8r,
Tony

------------------
www.miltsparks.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
685 Posts
Man, one more holster pic like the ones above and my wife's gonna install Net Nanny and block me from this site! heh

------------------
Steve "El Roto" G.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Tony, that is one of the most beautiful holsters I have ever seen! And the "NP-2" looks very very intriguing...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts