1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys after all the hype I have read about it I have decided to invest the extra 50 dollars and get a nice IWB. So here I go. I read the other thread about where to get them and so here is my question now. What kind is the "best" or rather what do you guys use? I see so many different types like the Heritage, watch six, executives companion. What are the differences between these? I have a Smith1911 5" that will be my CCW. Should there be something I should look at specifically? I will be ordering from Lightning Arms and want to make sure I see this from all angles before making my final decision. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The Versa Max II style works best for me. I also like the reinforced metal mouthband. Others will surely disagree, but I think it's really hard to go wrong with the VMII.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
There are lots of different IWB rigs but to me it boils down to a few basic designs, there is the VMII type with the extended belt loops that do a great job for heavy handguns and there is the Summer Special type with the loops together, sort of an all purpose design. I like the SS type but with an extended flange to protect the sciatic nerve and help keep the holster in place, an example is Alessi's PCH. I have a few VMII's but always go back to the SS type (PCH) as the VMII and it's copies take up too much "real estate" on my belt. Granted these aren't the only designs but they seem to be the most prevelant. Do yourself a favor, either attempt to borrow one of each type or buy two "cheapos" and try them out, otherwise like most of us you will wind up with a few boxes of holsters. Remember you need to buy what works best for you, not what works best for others!

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I def. need one for good support of a heavy gun cause lets face it, the 1911 full size is no small thing.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
No it's not, I carry a TRP which weight approx 42oz unloaded and do it comfortably with the SS style. All I'm saying that it's important for you to make the choice, don't do it based on advice from the net.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Don't hesitate to get a VMII on order. After trying it, you may decide it's not right for you. If that's the case, not only can you immediately turn it around, you will probably get more out of it that you have in it!

Joe

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No it's not, I carry a TRP which weight approx 42oz unloaded and do it comfortably with the SS style. All I'm saying that it's important for you to make the choice, don't do it based on advice from the net.
we are talking about the summer special right? Yea that's what I wanted to know. Are the other styles any good? I was also looking at the Executive's Companion.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Don't forget to get a real gunbelt, the holster is only as good as the belt it's riding on. The holster/belt is a system, just like how you pistol wouldn't be much good without magazines.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
we are talking about the summer special right? Yea that's what I wanted to know. Are the other styles any good? I was also looking at the Executive's Companion.
I may be reading it wrong, but seeing the thread title about a VMII then the question is regarding several other styles in Sparks line-up, I would suggest first determining how you plan to carry and what your needs are.

THEN, if Sparks is the makers you want, look at their site and read about each one you are questioning. Each are different and how you'll carry will likely narrow it down. Look at size, footprint of the holster, climate how you dress etc.

I've been lucky enough to pick up several custom maker holsters recently to try them to see what fits my needs. I'm finding out that what works for some won't work for me. It's likely that the VMII, while very comfortable, small footprint on my body, super nice construction etc. won't be the perfect holster for me based on body type and the way I dress most of the time that I'll want to carry with that style.

I'm trying 2 different styles like the VMII, the Rosen Workman/Slimline and soon to be a SS2 as well. The VMII style works great, but it's the Brommeland specifically that so far feels the best on me. I'd like a holster I can tuck and not look sloppy which the Workman does really well. But I'm not sure the holster will be comfortable enough based again, on my body type. I really need to gain about 30-40 lbs so more will fit better, but for now, I'll keep searching. :D

I also have to add, this is from testing the holster only, without the gun in it. I know, once I get my gun back and actually put a gun in the holster, it may be a whole new ballgame! :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
You can call me a loyalist of Milt Sparks holsters. Love all the products they offer. Great craftmenship, durable and will last for many years. Comfortable and of course they are just nice to look at too!:)

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I recently was able to grab a new Bulman PDL which is based on the VMII with an added twist on the belt loops which I cant explain but it's an extremely comfortable rig and I have been using it for my Commanders when I carry them. I also have lost quite a bit of weight which may be why the VMII design is starting to be comfortable again. As I said earlier you have to go with what works for you not someone else. Maybe someone needs to start up a holster rental biz so foks could try before buying.

·
Premium Member
20,404 Posts
The Summer Special and SSII are probably the most popular of all IWB's over time. I don't like the additional bulk of the loops directly over the gun. The VM2 fits me perfectly and not only distributes the weight better, but is far more stable. If you do decide on a SSII, Brownells has them in stock for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I use the following IWB holsters for a 5" 1911 and have found that they all have their own strengths and weaknesses: VM-II, Alessi PCH, Garrity In-Cognito, and HBE Com III. Like mentioned above, a good belt is key.

VM-II Strengths: totally comfortable, stable, great draw, stays open when gun is drawn. Weaknesses: none for me.
PCH: Strengths: Outstanding concealability, stays open when gun is drawn (I don't know how, it's magic), it's hard to beat the quality of an Alessi. Weakness: Not the most comfy for me while driving-I think this is due to the loops being over the body of the holster. Note that when I'm not driving, I forget the gun is there.
In-Cognito: Strengths: comfort, fit, attention to detail (Mark is insane in his boning) Weaknesses: I don't have the version that stays open when gun is drawn, but Mark makes one.
Com III: Strengths: comfort, Eric lives about 5 minutes from me. Weaknesses: difficult to reholster due to collapsing. Eric makes a reinforced version which I have not tried.

The above is only my opinion. Other's opinions will certainly vary. Like stated above, it's a choice you need to make yourself.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
The VMII is an excellent rig on several counts:

The design of the two spaced belt loops minimizes rig thickness and enhances fore-aft stability.

The supported holster mouth makes holstering quick and reliable. (While getting the gun back into the holster is lots less important than getting it out, it's still not a bad thing to be able to holster the gun easily with one hand and without visual guidance.)

The broad, relatively flat rear surface of the rig spreads out pressure from the holster over a wider skin surface at the hip, which significantly enhances comfort.

Workmanship and materials are excellent.

I wear mine, made for the Commander but used for the Baer Stinger, frequently.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
I just put in my order for a VMII yesterday evening. I was told it should ship in about 26 weeks. So the countdown begins. I can't wait. :rock:

·
Registered
361 Posts
I just put in my order for a VMII yesterday evening. I was told it should ship in about 26 weeks. So the countdown begins. I can't wait. :rock:
It seems like forever but it'll be worth it!

I have several VM-II's and the last two orders through MS actually arrived two weeks early. ;)

·
Registered
653 Posts
You truly can't go wrong with a VMII. If you order it from the factory it'll take awhile, but if it doesn't work for you, you can sell it for more than what you paid for it!

Joe

·
Registered
365 Posts
I too called Lightning about a VMll about 1 month ago. I have a few ordered from Sparks, but after a local bank robbery in broad daylight, I wanted something right now. They didn't have any, but said they had a DelFatti in stock and it was very similar to a VMll. So I ended up getting it and it is wonderful! The quality is absolutely incredible and you definately get what you pay for! I carry a full size CQB Elite in it at the 4 o'clock position and the double mag carrier at the 8 o'clock. I had never carried before and it took about a week to get used to it. Once I got used to it, I now feel naked without it. As far as the reinforced mouth, it has not been an issue at all for me. I would highly recommend DelFatti. Safe shooting :rock:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts