1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I note that there is much MIM on the new Champ. But it shoots like a dream, nevertheless.
So I have been pondering the MIM issue again. Is MIM really a problem?
It does not really seem so. Sure, I would probably feel better if all MIM was replaced. But as long as she functions well, does it matter?

On another note. I noticed that on the new Champ that when I drop the bbl in the slide the lugs mate with the slide about as perfect and tight as possible. No play at all. It is a bull bbl and very accurate.

On the other hand the other day when I was cleaning my older TRP I noticed that there is some play in this same area. However, the TRP is amazingly accurate. So how much of an issue is the play in the TRP. Seems like not at all.

Any opinions or comments on the MIM and the difference in the fitting of the barrels?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Personally I see way too much commotion over this thing. I have a Loaded model and am happy, it is very relaiable. Hey if the gun runs, what's the problem? same for the full length guide rods everyone hates, big deal, run what u brung.

·
Registered
7 Posts
joined forum to get ideas on purchasing my first 1911 and its old hat to you fellas but what is MIM? I might get lost in the forums aswell. Could one of you kind sirs PM me the def or something.....

thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
joined forum to get ideas on purchasing my first 1911 and its old hat to you fellas but what is MIM? I might get lost in the forums aswell. Could one of you kind sirs PM me the def or something.....

thanks

Here:

Sticky: Forged? Cast? MIM? Stamped?

Check out the site's "How To" and "FAQ" section. There's a ton of info to be found there. It's a good place to start reading here on the forum. I found it to be a tremendous help to me when I started browsing here several months ago.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I think you've answered your own questions....

If they all run and accurate, NO WORRIES.:rock:

Best regards,
Joseph

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
MIM and barrel lockup.

I'm no gunsmith, but I've been using the platform for two decades and learned a thing or two.

If MIM parts are going to fail, they will usually fail right out of the gate. If you've gotten through a couple boxes of ammo, your MIM parts are fine. If it bothers you, they can be replaced. If it doesn't, leave them alone.

Whether or not the barrel is "tight" in the lugs is irrelevant. What matters is that it locks up consistently. A good bushing to slide and barrel to bushing fit, along with the lugs and barrel hood/breechface locking up the same way every time makes accuracy. Tight or loose doesn't matter, consistency is the name of the game.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts