1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Seems as to some disagreement on the cast and mim parts usage.

First, let ME apologize. I didn't mean to critisize. Colt parts work. My concern and what I've seen via my own classes is excessive wear on some of those parts and some failures.
Additionally, I didn't understand that mim was "plasticized metal injection molding" and different from castings. My understanding being that castings are more porous. Does it therefore figure that cast parts would not make good disconnectors, sears, etc., because of that porousity?
Does MIM get around that porousity issue? Castings, therefore, should be OK for frames because of the mass of the metal? I'm not an engineer here folks. Just an old Combat Engineer/Marine.
My personal carry gun is a Stainless Colt Commander that has some custom work. My intiention is to replace all the internals with high grade parts, have a trigger job done, and I'll be in good stead. Since this will probably be my carry gun for the rest of my life I want to make sure it will be as reliable and long lasting as possible.
In my 42 years around the 1911 family I've seen it all. Overall, my impression is that it is a worthy competition and carry piece. I know mine is...
Sorry to get all you folk in an uproar

Wes Howe
Willamette Small Arms Academy

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
No problem. We're all here to learn & share. Strongly help opinions based on your personal experience are fine. Personal experience is how we all develop those opinions. Others experiences may differ from yours. At least your strongly held opinion did not come across as one new member has with disdaneful arrogance for other member's questions/views.
Do I like MIM? Not really, but I can't say that it's all bad. Early Series 80 guns had large mold lines in the MIM parts that made fitting & tuning a real pain. Some parts are dimensionally wrong. Disconnectors have been absolutely awful in that respect! I'd like to here from the other smiths (pros especially) about their experience with these.
Don't know about current S80s. I haven't had the results that I want on trigger jobs with stock MIM parts. Seem to be difficult to stone to a proper finish. The pull doesn't seem as clean. I've been buying CMC parts until recently, but I understand that they've gone to MIM also. I've got a few C&S hammers/sears to play with & really like them. Dane Burns has a new h/s/disconnector that looks real good. The sear looks amazingly like an exact copy of the C&S ultra lite sear (same subcontractor?).
Bottom line- I like forged/machined from bar stock best, but "properly manufactured" parts, whether, cast, MIM, forged, or bar stock, will all work fine & last. Specific parts, such as the extractor, should not be cast or MIM in my opinion. YMMV. ....and welcome to the board.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Use tool steel parts. They cost a little more, but your worth it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts