1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of us know about MIM parts and Kimber. Even to the point of how many and what parts are MIM. Also that the Customs has a Plastic Main spring housing. Now what about the Springfield’s Custom Loaded. It sells for about $80 less then the Kimber Custom (at least the gun store I go to).
I know the Kimber vs Springfield debate is beaten to death here, but I am concerned about the internals more. This is going to be a project gun for me and will be worked on very slowly, because of money. I have researched the archives and really is none thing about S/A and MIN parts. Now after months of preparing to get a Kimber now I’m leaning to S/A. As far as I know they both good base guns.
I am so confused!!

------------------
Those who stand for nothing fall for anything."
-Alexander Hamilton

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Don't worry. If it's going to be a long term project gun, get whichever gun feels best to you. The whole MIM thing has been blown out of proportion. Any failures you've heard about happens so sparingly that it seems more of an anomaly than the rule for those parts. If you really are concerned than first things to replace on either a Kimber or SA are the following:

-Firing pin
-Firing pin stop
-Slide stop
-Extractor

Replace these with either Wilson or Ed Brown parts and you shouldn't go wrong.

·
Registered
731 Posts
You'll also want to replace the thumb safety. If you want an MIM free gun, get a Series 70 (and maybe Series 80???) Colt.

Like Mute said, MIM isn't a huge deal, but it was relevant for me since Kimber charges more AND uses more MIM parts than SA.

Billy Ray

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I guess if your going to be changing and customizing whichever one you get it doesn't really matter, I own both a SA Champion and a Kimber Custom Classic, the Kimber is hands above the SA in fit,finish, trigger, accuracy, and overall quality. I like my Champion even though I've spent about a 100 dollars on it so far to cure some factory problems, it's just fun to shoot and I grew up wanting a SA so I bought one. I've had no problems with any part of my Kimber and have only done some minor changes, and added Wilson Mags. Springfield has come a long way, but IMO, there not up to Kimber yet.
Regards SonnyD

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
MIM is metal injection molding. they mix the metal with a binder and squirt it in a mold like a plastic model. when the bake the binder out it shrinks (and sometimes distorts)
had a new springfield in last week. MIM
count hammer sear disconector beavertail
Titanium firing pin, but to make sure it went off they used a HEAVY main spring, and there main spring housing safety also.
Para gets added to the mim list sear on single action guns and the striker on the Lda are mim
colt sear disconector mag catch from the 80's on. Wilson is using also (it is reported you can order without)
if you can buy sear disconectors and so fourth for under 5.00 you can see it is here to stay.

Im with mute, for serious gun pass on the cast or mim
sear
hammer
disconector
slide stop
bushing
extractor
firing pin stop.

beavertail is not an issue, have seen broken thumb safetys though and front sigths.
geo ><>

·
Registered
159 Posts
Does anybody know when Springfield started using MIM parts? I don't want to start throwing parts of my pistol away if I don't have to.

I bought this Loaded model in Dec. of '99.

------------------
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
Humphrey Bogart

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Cathbad

If you look on the side of the parts you will see ejector pin marks where they kick the green part out of the mold. (round circles) I "think" your sear will be the "good Old" Springfield item.
the other way to tell is they polished the inside pretty well where the hammer rubs, unique to springfield.
geo ><>

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks George.

------------------
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
Humphrey Bogart

1 - 9 of 9 Posts