1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone is using them these days in their pistols. Which ones have broken and which ones have any of the the forum members replaced in their pistols?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I haven't replaced anything. I'm not saying they're as good as forged, but I'm not too worried about MIM parts.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a grip safety break, and also a hammer. Both were on pistols with a low round count. (almost brand new) I am hoping that will be the extent of my experience. My friend has a Kimber (they also use MIM parts) and he has 50k rounds through it without any breakage.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Most of the semi customs don't use MIM parts. My Dan Wessons have NO MIM parts. Kimbers and alot of others are loaded with them. Buy some good spare parts so you are ready if any of the MIM parts break.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Bent slide stop, Broken X Tractor, Broken Mag release. Within the first 1500 rds.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Nothing broken (yet), but had to replace a slide stop that did not fit properly.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
My Tac-Four had a bad slide stop, and later popped a PXT, but the latter may have been due to an over-the-top reload. My other two Para's have been 100%.

My theory on MIM is that such parts basically fall out of the press ready to install. (Yeah, I know about paint, etc. :)) Machined or forged parts tend to be stressed in production and may never see the failed ones. WE have to stress the MIM parts ourselves....

IMHO, if they're going to break, it should be in the first hundred rounds or so.... After that, mortality rates should be about the same as other production methods.

The folks who make "No MIM!" guns may be responding to the reputation as much as anything else. Voids in the material or a failure to properly fuse may give you problems, but the former are just as likely in forged materials. Stress cracking & such, due to improper machining - sharp corners where some kind of radius should be present - is probably less likely in MIM parts than the others....

I recall somebody posting a note about buying a new 1911 of some kind and having the hammer fall apart, resulting in something that looked like an LDA flat hammer, but it still shot.

Just IMHO, of course.... Until the former day job poofed about fifteen years ago, I was part of a plastics plant for about 30 years. Mold and extrusion die design was part of my training, although I have to admit being the Data Processing Manager for most of that period. I became familiar with the rest of it while involved in CNC die manufacture and price quotation techniques (highly proprietary).

Regards,

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have over 50,000 rds through my P14:45 and the only thing failed was a barrel bushing blew out throwing my slide and barrel in the dirt..
All the mim parts are still running...

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
MIM parts are in most rifles and shotguns, including some high-end models, and many many production revolvers. Firing mechanisms, trigger guards, safeties, barrel bands, locks, operating levers, sights, etc.

But the MIM scare is only within our pistol circles, so it's the only place you see people freak out.

Its funny that some pistol owners spend hundreds of dollars to rid their handguns of MIM parts, but shoot shotguns and rifles proudly without ever knowing that their hands have touched MIM. In those moments, ignorance is bliss.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
MIM parts are in most rifles and shotguns, including some high-end models, and many many production revolvers. Firing mechanisms, trigger guards, safeties, barrel bands, locks, operating levers, sights, etc.

But the MIM scare is only within our pistol circles, so it's the only place you see people freak out.

Its funny that some pistol owners spend hundreds of dollars to rid their handguns of MIM parts, but shoot shotguns and rifles proudly without ever knowing that their hands have touched MIM. In those moments, ignorance is bliss.
Can we sticky this?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I bought a Kimber Aegis Custom II about a year ago (for carry purposes), and my gunsmith installed a lot of Ed Brown, Wilson, etc. parts in place of many of the Kimber factory MIM components.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts