1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been an armor / gunsmith for years now and I enjoy building the 1911 platform. I usually only build them for me and occasionally sell them to gt another one.

I purchased my Ruger SR1911 Commander version a few months ago to use as a project gun. Basically all I wanted was the frame, slide and barrel. When I found that I could get a complete gun for the price of a frame, slide and barrel from Fution, STI, Les Baer, Caspain and a few others, I knew I would already be ahead of the game.

Upon receiving the pistol I broke it down and started to customize it the way I like my 1911s. I do not like black anything on my 1911 (with the exception of the sights) so I replaced all of the black parts except the barrel link. I chucked the old parts in the trash and never thought twice about it. I had also replaced the front and rear sights with true Novak tritium low mount sights.

Now with that said, a friend of mine liked the way I set up my Ruger and wanted me to do the same to his. Today I started to work on his. With all of the talk of the front sight breaking off, I looked at all of the black parts on the Ruger SR1911. They are all MIM parts. I even took a hammer to the Slide catch/release, upon inspecting the broken part it is plain to see that it is a MIM part.

I think Ruger has done a disservice to the 1911 community by loading up these guns with MIM parts. They are able to offer them at a lower price and many first time buyers are purchasing them. As the parts start to fail, these new 1911 fans will become sour toward the 1911 platform. You know the comments, POS gun, always breaking, Jams like crazy, unreliable and so on.

The Ruger SR1911 frame, slide and barrel are top notch. Everything else needs to go.

·
Registered
379 Posts
But at the price they sell them do you expect them to load it up with custom parts? It was my understanding they built the SR1911 to be a reliable, affordable platform for the consumers who can't afford a Les Baer or other high end 1911's. Other than the sight issue I've read nothing but positives about the SR1911.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But at the price they sell them do you expect them to load it up with custom parts? It was my understanding they built the SR1911 to be a reliable, affordable platform for the consumers who can't afford a Les Baer or other high end 1911's. Other than the sight issue I've read nothing but positives about the SR1911.

Alright maybe I was a bit hard on them. You are right, if they did use all top shelf part they would not be selling for the price they are, and I would not have gotten such an good deal as I did.

I guess I was just trying to convey the fact that there are a ton of MIM parts in these guns and not to get all uptight when there is a breakage here and there. Use it as an opportunity to replace the MIM part with barstock.

I for one could not be happier with my Ruger 1911.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree, for the price point, I got mine for $640 new its a sweet pistol. It's my first 1911 to boot and although its on the way back to Ruger for the 2nd time for the front sight issue this time, I still love the platform and will be adding several more 1911's to my collection. The first time it went back to Ruger was a frame to slide issue where the slide was not relieved enough at the end of travel and was being peened into the barrel area impeding removal during field stripping. I know many people don't like the black on stainless look but it's what hooked me on this pistol. I was not a fan of stainless pistols in general but as I was looking for my first 1911 to buy I continued to come back and compare every gun I was getting close to pulling the trigger on to purchase I would back off and look over the Ruger again. Finally I realized there was going to be a SR1911 in my safe as my first 1911 :dope:

·
Registered
354 Posts
The mim parts are mentioned but not the cast frame. Just because a gun has mim parts doesn't. Mean the parts are going to break unless they aren't good mim.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Nothing wrong with MIM parts depending on the application. MIM parts are in everything you use everyday. Technology has changed and MIM parts are of better quality than 5 years ago. Remember when plastic came out for pistols? Many people said they would not be strong or last long and here were are. If you guys want all machined parts, then pay more money for it other than that I would stop complaining about something that is not really an issue. Almost all firearms have MIM parts in them. Buy a Les Baer or a Wilson and quit whining.

James

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nothing wrong with MIM parts depending on the application. MIM parts are in everything you use everyday. Technology has changed and MIM parts are of better quality than 5 years ago. Remember when plastic came out for pistols? Many people said they would not be strong or last long and here were are. If you guys want all machined parts, then pay more money for it other than that I would stop complaining about something that is not really an issue. Almost all firearms have MIM parts in them. Buy a Les Baer or a Wilson and quit whining.

James
Quoted for truth. If they are quality made parts, MIM or otherwise, they should work well. Other than confirming it was MIM, what did you think was going to happen when you took a hammer to the slide stop?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quoted for truth. If they are quality made parts, MIM or otherwise, they should work well. Other than confirming it was MIM, what did you think was going to happen when you took a hammer to the slide stop?
I am just very curious by nature. I would have ran it over with a cement mixer if I thought that would have been quicker. I just wanted to confirm that it was MIM, that's all.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I guess I was just trying to convey the fact that there are a ton of MIM parts in these guns and not to get all uptight when there is a breakage here and there.
I wish just once...just once mind mind that when someone makes a "Your MIM invested gun is going to break." thread/post they would back it up with facts found on this forum that it's going to happen.

Sure Ruger has a problem with the front sights but "supposedly" have the culprit figured out as reported by some here on the forum.

And if you honestly think that MIM is the devil and shouldn't be used in any application on anything,please don't use your seatbelt in your car and it may break.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I am just very curious by nature. I would have ran it over with a cement mixer if I thought that would have been quicker. I just wanted to confirm that it was MIM, that's all.
When it broke, what was the type of break? Did it bend some and then crack apart? Did it fracture with little deformation? I am curious now as well. Was looking at a Ruger in the Commander size and am interested to know.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Brushout, you say the frame, slide and barrel are top notch. Is the bushing MIM?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brushout, you say the frame, slide and barrel are top notch. Is the bushing MIM?
No, the barrel bushing is not MIM.
They claim that the Barrel and Bushing are milled at the same time, out of the same bar stock to improve accuracy and consistency. I would have to agree.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The way I lookat it the sight breakage issue is you get to buy a gun shoot then send it back for either bar stock sights fiber optics like I chose or whatever Ruger has all on their dime. As for the other mim parts the majority of 1911 shooters I know do the same as the o.p. and replace the controls with what fits them. I believe people are looking at the broken sight issue in the wrong way. I understand the anger at first I felt the same way but Ruger will stand up and take care of the customer. As far as the other mim parts well there was a huge market for after market 1911 parts long before Ruger brought theirs out.

I think you should look at what you get for your money and not what you don't get. I really like the way the op's gun turned out and like his mine is a shooter even though iI have only replaced the front sights. Sorry to ramble on jmho

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I wish just once...just once mind mind that when someone makes a "Your MIM invested gun is going to break." thread/post they would back it up with facts found on this forum that it's going to happen.

Sure Ruger has a problem with the front sights but "supposedly" have the culprit figured out as reported by some here on the forum.

And if you honestly think that MIM is the devil and shouldn't be used in any application on anything,please don't use your seatbelt in your car and it may break.
You are 100% right. There is probably nothing wrong with well made MIM parts. I just don't like them in my 1911s. I have the skill and ability to change them out, bar stock parts are readily available and reasonably inexpensive. So, I change them out along with a few other custom work to my weapons while I am at it.

I am not saying I am right or wrong, I was just letting the forum know what parts are MIM and which one are not. Most probably already knew, but some my not have known. Then you guys can make up your own minds as to what you are comfortable with. If the part ever does break, then hey, don't get mad, just use this as an opportunity to upgrade the part.

Oh and I do not usually wear a seat belt. Only when it is raining or I am driving over 60 mph. Not because of MIM parts, but because I do not believe the Government has the right to tell me what I need to do to stay safe.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When it broke, what was the type of break? Did it bend some and then crack apart? Did it fracture with little deformation? I am curious now as well. Was looking at a Ruger in the Commander size and am interested to know.
Clean break. No cracks or bending. Just a quick snap.

Sorry for the crappy photos, I have a crappy phone camera. All my money is spent on hookers and guns.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.