1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does colt use any MIM (metal injected mold) parts ? I'm not sure why I care but I keep hearing people say dont use MIM parts . Has there been problems with parts failing made by this method and if so how can you tell one part from the nexted . My understanding is its just a cheaper way of casting is this just another case of someone making a big deal out of a litttle part that may or may not save your life one day :scratch:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mim

thanks cameron I missed that sticky so what do you think about other mim parts such as hammers and slide stops ?

·
Administrator
73,386 Posts
I will not use a 1911 with an MIM slide stop. It gets replaced immediately. I've seen hammer hooks fail on MIM hammers as well, so I'm not too crazy abut those either. Then again, the only failed hooks were observed on Kimbers so maybe it was a "Brand K" thing. :barf:

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you do not like MIM parts, it is much cheaper to replace the 4 parts in a Colt pistol than the far larger number of MIM parts in "Brand X" guns.

·
Registered
270 Posts
When did Colt start using mim parts in their 1911s? I was told that there were some kind of powdered metal parts in some of the revolvers (King Cobra) way back in the early 1990's but there was no mention of the 1911s back then. I assume that to be what is now commonly known as mim. Can anyone with knowledge of this subject tell me more?

·
Registered
45 Posts
MIM parts List

As an addendum to jailbirdwatcher's post...I did read the "Sticky" on what colt parts are MIM but the "sticky" is dated from 2003. Does Colt still manufacture the stated parts as the "sticky" denotes?

·
Administrator
73,386 Posts
I haven't seen anything with my new Colts to suggest they've made any changes to materials.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Jailbirdwatcher said:
When did Colt start using mim parts in their 1911s? I was told that there were some kind of powdered metal parts in some of the revolvers (King Cobra) way back in the early 1990's but there was no mention of the 1911s back then. I assume that to be what is now commonly known as mim. Can anyone with knowledge of this subject tell me more?
Sintered metal parts were used in the Colt trooper III back in the 70s[?] They held up fine in mine but I really did not like them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts