1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Email response from S&W to my question (I trust stronger replacement parts are available?):
**********************************************************************************************
The sear and the disconnector are the only mim parts in the 1911. everything else is carbon steel ot stainless. Thank You

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 11:42 PM
To: Smith & Wesson Support
Subject: MIM Parts in 1911's

As I try to decide which of your 1911's I want to purchase, can you please identify for me which of its parts (exc frame/slide) are made of MIM? I think that stands for "metal injected mold," or vis versa. Thanks!!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Email response from S&W to my question (I trust stronger replacement parts are available?):
**********************************************************************************************
The sear and the disconnector are the only mim parts in the 1911. everything else is carbon steel ot stainless. Thank You

As I try to decide which of your 1911's I want to purchase, can you please identify for me which of its parts (exc frame/slide) are made of MIM? I think that stands for "metal injected mold," or vis versa. Thanks!!

You should ask how many sears and disconnectors the factory has had a problem with before you look for " stronger replacements". MIM failures are
grossly overstated on the internet. The factory will give you the correct numbers.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wonder when this happened... Seems like most small parts on my 1911sc are MIM. Shoots great, and has for a while, so I'm not too worried about it.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Point is moot for me. I maintain a very large inventory of 1911 parts from Wilsons custom shop, all of them bulletproof parts, of which I then custom fit to each 1911 purchased. With the sole exception of my Springfield GI MIM testbed, which has every possible MIM part installed, and I can report that it is now approaching the 17k round mark, with NO breakages, or signs of breaking apart.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

That's pretty impressive. I expected more MIM parts than that.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would have to disagree with the factory on this one.
My 108284 most likely has the following MIM parts
Thumb safety
Disconnector
Hammer/sear
Slide stop
Mag release
Plungers

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would have to say that it was the "internet jive" that got me concerned over MIM parts; how others (Wilson) have completely done away with them, etc. I owned four 3rd Gen pistols from Smith, all in 10mm, and never had a part break. In any case, it is nice to know everything I can learn about a pistol before buying one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perhaps the factory is stating what are their production standards now, not what you guys have (?).:confused:

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I wouldn't say it's low. I personally don't have an issue with MIM parts if the manufacturing process is sound and what SW seems to be producing is of high quality. The technology is getting better everyday.

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
If the tech knew what he/she was talking about, they wouldn't have referred to MIM as a metal different to carbon steel or stainless. MIM IS either carbon steel or stainless.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
wait..what? someone other than Kimber uses MIM? blastphemy! imagine that, and to think some posters in this thread say they have had no issues! this whole MIM issue is soooo overblown it's silly. I know someone on this forum who has had over 50,000 rds thru his MIM filled Kimber without a failure. imagine that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't say it's low. I personally don't have an issue with MIM parts if the manufacturing process is sound and what SW seems to be producing is of high quality. The technology is getting better everyday.

I screwed up. By saying "production standards" I did not mean to imply quality; only a parts change. Sorry:bawling:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been selling metals for 13 years, mainly tool steels, and I can say I have no fear of MIM parts...in many cases depending on the design they are stronger.

Does anyone know of the grip safety is carbon or SS? I am replacing all the black parts on my Smith with SS just for the look and would prefer to just bead blast the existing SS parts as I know they function.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts