1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know opinion is going to vary a bit with this question, but I am going to ask it anyway :)

I currently reload for my Springfield Loaded on a Lee turrent press and have always in the past pretty much stuck with Winchester or CCI large pistol primers and Win 231. I usually order 500-600 Ranier plated bullets at a time along with 200-300 rounds of various premium bullets ie. Hornady 185 SWC's and XTP's, Remmington 185 HP's, Speer 185 GD's etc..
I don't really know why I get the *variety* pack, but I do.

I load all of it across the map, from the bare minimums, to the middle of the scale, but never very hot. Now that the fun of being able to load whatever I want, whenever and however I want is wearing off (not really :) I am going to start trying for the best accuracy I can

I ordered some 230 Noslers the other day and was noticing in some of the load data that I have for them that they found the most accurate combination was @ the top of the scale. Way hotter than I usually go.
Second thing I have noticed is that the loads Speer gives for the GD's is pretty warm, starts @ about 6.6 for the 185's. They shoot ok but you can really tell they are warm

I guess my questions are this
1. Is there a general rule about accuracy and speed, I have always assumed that the slower, lighter loads would be a little more accurate. Which end of the spectrum do you guys usually plink in? I don't compete, except with my friend @ the range for .10 for every round out of the black @ 25 yds :)
2. Are there actual differences in accuracy in your opinions between RN's, FP's, HP's and SWC's?
3. What about bullet weights? In general for bullseye, do you guys like lighter or heavier bullets.

Sorry this was so long.

Eddie

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I will take a stab at it.

1) My experience is between 90 to 95% max seems to give best accuracy in my testing.

2) In general the less bending of the bullet the better in my experience. So target grade round nose do better then JHP's in the same caliber, but I am not sure that is always true. Testing is required.

3) I find for the 45acp 230 grn FMJ target bullets are best, 10mm 180 grn TC, 40s&w 155tc, 357 mag/38special 148 grn hbwc, 357 sig 115 grn JHP, 9mm 124 grn FMJ, 380 auto 90 grn JHP.

That is my comments.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The people who make reloading manuals use either a real firearm or a universal reciever to test their loads.

Each firearm is different. 2 guns one S/N apart from a manf. may or may not like the same load.

Generally I'm with you and have not gone to the top of the charts very often. I've found mid- range loads to work the best.....and changing from one brand of a primer to another can effect group size.

Edited to add: I re-read your post. If you want to kick your buddies behind try the following:

4.6 grs of Bullseye
230 gr. lead round nose
CCI 300.

This is a Bullseye favorite load. I use to load 4.5 grs. all the time and found the 4.6 gr. load in 1911 book. Groups shrank in my Springfield 1911a1.

By the way, lead and 45's are made for one another. I can make plinking ammo for about $2.50 a box.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
I don't have any thing to go on but my own experience and here goes:
Been loading for 4 1/2 years, last box of 1000 primers made 57,000 ( thats how I keep track of rounds loaded ) 53,000+ have been 45's. the longer the shank of the bullet that stays in the brass, not the part of the bullet above the case mouth seems to have the greatest impact on accuracy. My accuracy champs are 250gr. LRNFP and 255gr. LSWC. Both loaded to 1.185-1.190 OAL. which is right at the crimp groove. Loaded hot or lite they work best for me. No flames, Just MY experience and opinion. Tracy:D
P.S. favorite load ( also very economical ) is Unique 4.2 gr, works great for pins, steel, practice and fun. Plan on using it for IDPA and IPSC lim10 this 2004 if it makes major. will go to 4.5 or 4.8 if necessary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I researched about 500 posts today to gather additional information, and I am writing down your advice as we speak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to go buy some bullseye as 231 is all I have ever used and I am going to study up on what I need to gather to get started shooting lead. Lets see, I gotta order some bullets and now I am gonna have to buy some lube so you might as well tell me what you all are using for that, cause I don't think my wife will let me have ALL of her saved bacon grease :)

Lots of folks seem to like the Laser Cast bullets

·
Registered
102 Posts
Most if not about all store bought lead bullets for 45 ACP come lubed.

If you cast your own you would have to lube and at the price you can get the already cast bullets for, I would not even think of casting myself. Reloading and shooting are fine but we injest enough lead just doing that. No flames intended for those who choose to cast their own.

About the only thing I can tell you thats different about shooting lead is, don't shoot jacketed after wards to remove the lead.....it's not going to happen that way.

If I'm shooting lead....I shoot lead. If I'm shooting jacketed, I shoot jacketed no mixing and matching with a good cleaning in between the two.

A handy tool to have is called a Lewis lead remover. This is also simular to a tool Outters sells. They use a rubber plug and brass screen to peel the lead out. Works real slick. Lead away patches also work as does JB's Bore paste. I get enough lead that it cleans up with normal cleaning. NO BIG deal in other words.

I have found if I bell the case more than I would for jacketed I don't have as much leading. Don't bell so much the case won't fit in the seating/crimp die, but it's close.

And that my friend is the difference in loading jacketed over loading lead. Except I bet you start shooting lots of lead. $28.00 to $32.00 for a box of 500 is not going to break the bank.

tsp45acp.....those bullets you listed seem a little heavy for 45 ACP, or you talking 45 Colt?

I crimp enough to remove the bell and use my barrel as a cartridge gauge.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Tim R,

Yes cowboy bullets, but the dealer I get them at sells .452 dia. I've used .454 in the past and they worked fine. I've always used the Lee factory crimp die as my last stage so everything works great. Occasionally I'll get one that that's a little tight in the chamber, but they have always fired and extracted without any real problem. I also think they help seal the bore just a little better which helps make powder burn more completely. JMO. I don't usually go anywhere near max pressure and 45's are very forgiving if you do screw-up a little. As I posted earlier, I like 4.2gr-4.5gr Unique. When I want max velocity I go to Power Pistol. That's what I like for 45 Super.:D Tracy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts