1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sold on both these rifles which one should I get I am going for the SS and syn stock. Any reliablity issues or quality with these rifles. The only difference between these is the caliber right? 223 v 7.62

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would go with the .223 simply because of the abundance of hi-cap magazines still available for them.

As far as reliablity goes, I think they are perfect, Basically the M1A / M14 action scaled down to the .223. Can't get more reliable than that.

I have a preban .223 that I absolutely love. I was going to trade it for a preban AR, but now I will just keep both

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alot of people were recommending the AR which I really want and like but guess what, I live in Ca.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I've had a couple of mini 14's and they are great rifles, however finding good high caps mags are a problem. the only ones I've seen recently for sale are the junk USA mags. preban ruger 30 rounders are the top of the line, but go for about $90 each and the other mag thats worked for me were made by percision magazines inc (PMI).

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Originally posted by Greg1911:
alot of people were recommending the AR which I really want and like but guess what, I live in Ca.
How about savin' up and getting an M1A? That's what I'm gonna do...now all I gotta do is starve myself for the next month!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have owned two Mini-14s. I still have the "Ranch" model. IMHO they are very dependable and rugged guns. They are NOT accurate - 3-4" at 100 yards is all you can expect. But, for a close range self defense gun they are hard to beat. I like the synthetic stock.

·
Registered
550 Posts
In a realistic defensive scenario, the Mini-14 has no trouble keeping up with the AR's.

Mine is totally reliable and more accurate than it should be.

You can often get the off-brand magazines to work by fiddling with the feed lips to match the contour of the Ruger magazine.

The stainless Mini-14 is just right for carry in the trunk of the car. Not too politically incorrect if it has to come out, particularly with the factory 5-round magazine, yet as effective as the evil black assault weapons.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, The less sinister of semi-auto firing rifles the Mini 14 and Mini 30. They can have a detachable mag but an SKS can't. Go figure. I'm sure they will try to ban them next if they ever figure it out!
Joe

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Dear Greg1911, To leave the paramilitary theme of this discussion for a moment another good option for a lower cost .30 caliber semi is a used Remington 742. They are well made, accurate, reliable, and you can still get ten round magazines for them. If you are really interested in stopping power as you said in another post one can't go wrong with a 30'06 or .308. Stay safe, Gary

------------------
"I knew a man that I did not care for. And then one day this man payed me a call. We sat and talked about things on our mind. Now this man he is a friend of mine" Friend and Lover "Reach Out in the Darkness"

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have an AR and a standard Mini-14. The AR cost over twice as much and holds better groups at 100yds. It should for that kind of money. I still love the mini. My mini is stock out of the box and consistently shoots 21/2-3" groups at 100yds. Iron sights. How much more accuracy does the average shooter need?

Is it a competition gun? Maybe in the right hands, although not mine. These Rugers are built like tanks and get the job done. I have had great luck with the John Masen aftermarket mags. They are to Mini's what Wilson mags are to 1911's.

Go for the Mini14. The Mini30 is cool, but .223 ammo is far easier to come by. At least in Iowa.

good shootin', gunny

1 - 12 of 12 Posts