1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No real complaints about this gun but there is that recurring loosening of the recoil plug. The one that you unscrew before releasing the guide. I note that Springfield sells a guide and plug. Is this meant to remedy this problem? They won't answer my email. Also, I can't get the bushing loose with my plastic wrench from Brownells and am unsure about whivch way to turn it. I have been cleaning the weapon leaving it on but that is getting to be a nuisance. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I assume that what is loosening is the front section of a two piece full length guide rod. You can do several things to fix it and they are all correct. You can replace those parts with a shorter GI recoil spring guide and plug. You can try cleaning the threads of any oil and screwing the sections back together snuggly. You can buy an aftermarket full length guide rod from a "name" maker like Wilson or Nowlin or EGW and replace the factory unit.

As to turning your bushing, remove the front section of your FLGR, then you initially turn it clockwise (as viewed from the front) while you depress the recoil spring plug (wear safety glasses). Capture the plug as the bushing releases it. Once the plug is removed, you turn it all the way counter-clockwise, then remove the bushing from the front of the slide. If you can't turn it with a plastic wrench, you're either doing something wrong, or the maker has fit the bushing to the slide way too tight. Get an aluminum wrench from Brownells. Good Luck!

·
Registered
229 Posts
The plastic bushing wrench supplied by Springfield doesn't work very well. Almost any metal wrench seems to do the trick. Of course, you can always use your thumb and fingers the way we used to do it in the Army's stone age.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I copied John Harrison's reply for next time I clean the piece. Thanks. No, the thumb isn't going to do this one. I have a Colt Commander whose old MIL-SPEC system is much preferrable. Both guns are .45s. One reason I had not tried harder to remove the bushing is a supposed reduction of accuracy, although I did try pretty hard. Springfield used to be good to reply but always with an uninformed answer. Now they just stonewall.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Try moving the slide to the rear about a quarter inch before trying to turn the bushing. There is a slight tension between the barrel and bushing when the gun is in battery. Moving the slide rearward alleviates the tension. Once you have the slide stripped, put the bushing in without the barrel. If a wrench is needed to twist the bushing into position, I would suggest you work over the bushing to make it possible to turn with your fingers. A bushing wrench should not be necessary but it does help in capturing the plug and recoil spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts