1911Forum banner

"MISFIRE" by William H. Hallahan

3194 27
Just finished reading "Misfire: The History of how America's Small Arms have Failed our Military" by William H. Hallahan. There are a couple of issues that I thought might be worth discussing:

1. Hallahan writes that during the Korean War, our troops were often outgunned by the North Korean Army, which supposedly possessed greater firepower (in terms of infantry weapons). I found this very hard to believe. To my knowledge, the N. Koreans never used the AK-47, only WWII-era Soviet small arms. On the other hand, our troops were armed with the M1 Garand, M2 Carbine, and BAR, among others. Can anyone dispute this claim that our troops lacked firepower, or was he correct? If there are any Korean War vets that could give an opinion, that would be great.

2. Hallahan seems to have nothing but disdain for the M14. Now, I don't wish to start an "M14 vs. M16" debate, but if anyone was (is) in the military, I'd like to hear their opinion about this rifle (the M14).

3. In his conclusion, Hallahan obviously laments the fact that today's M16 is equipped with a 3-shot burst instead of a full-auto capability. I do not profess to be an expert on infantry tactics, but this seems like a rather trivial issue. A platoon of soldiers armed with M16A2s supplemented with SAWs or M60s could put up quite a wall of lead. What do you guys think: is the 3-shot burst really a handicap?

Also, I'd like to hear what you think of this book overall.