1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 1918 colt 1911 that is in very good shape, however has been reblued, and the roll mark on the right of the slide is missing.

All else seems very correct.

It seems to be a good value, my question is how much this might affect its future.

I am dying to get a first generation, and am willing to wait for the right one, but this seems to be such a good value, it may end up becoming the right one!

I just want to make sure I am not buying a doorstop.

Any advice on this?

·
Registered
22,100 Posts
I don't think it has a future. Partly scrubbed and reblued 1911s have no collector interest. If the markings hadn't been removed, you could have had it Parkerized and have a refurb lookalike, but that opportunity is gone.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
If money is no object, you can have a new rollmark lasered on. The gun will never be original again, but could be a good candidate for restoration, if enough original components are still in tact.

·
Administrator
74,378 Posts
A reblued vintage 1911 has no collector's value. Having said that, it's possible the slide is off a WW2-era pistol which would've had a similar rollmark on the LH side and a blank RH side. Or... somebody wanted to take off all the US military markings since there was a time when they were generally illegal to possess.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
but this seems to be such a good value, it may end up becoming the right one!
Unless the pistol is a gift, a not original USGI 1911 with missing markings and/or incorrect components does not make a good value. It's not collectible and, quite frankly, not a best choice as a shooter.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Unless the pistol is a gift, a not original USGI 1911 with missing markings and/or incorrect components does not make a good value. It's not collectible and, quite frankly, not a best choice as a shooter.
It is a shooter.

·
Administrator
74,378 Posts
As I said before, everybody has their own idea of a "shooter". An old 1911 with a soft pre-1950 slide isn't going to be very good for heavy shooting or as a custom gun. But as something to take out once in awhile and blow up soda cans with... sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts