1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here from Ol' Miss to tell me about the gun laws. Is it an NFA state? How difficult to obtain a ccw? Residency term requirments? Private sale and ownership? etc....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I moved here to miss. from the s.f. bay area about a year and a half ago.The gun laws here are easy to deal with. I had to wait a year of residency to get my ccw but then all there was to it was fill out a form get it notorized and pay $130. Then I got a co worker who has a ffl to order me a new s&w 642 for carry all I had to do for that was drive over to his house fill out the form ,he called it in and I took it home. A big change for me coming from no.cal

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, but I'm looking for a bit more depth. Does Mississippi have a peaceable journey law? Open carry permited? Packing does not cover these things and there info is not as up to date as one who lives there. I have heard many rumors I'd like confirmed.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
DWDude said:
Thanks guys, but I'm looking for a bit more depth. Does Mississippi have a peaceable journey law? Open carry permited? Packing does not cover these things and there info is not as up to date as one who lives there. I have heard many rumors I'd like confirmed.
Here is the info from Packing.org. I could not find info on open carry, but I may have overlooked it. I have found it best to contact the authority in the state in question. You can get that info from the Packing.org site. It is below.

Peaceable journey law summary

Date updated: Aug 26, 2005 @ 8:53 pm

97-37-1.(2)

It shall not be a violation of this section for any person over the age of eighteen (18) years to carry a firearm or deadly weapon concealed in whole or in part within the confines of his own home or his place of business, or any real property associated with his home or business or within any motor vehicle.

http://www.packing.org/state/mississippi/#statepeace_journ_law

Jerry

·
Registered
57 Posts
open carry is highly frowned upon in MS, our carry permit states concealed. Some people will say that technically open carry is legal, and it may very well be, but after the first time you eat 110 degree asphalt you will probably agree concealed is the way to do. Ask some local cops where you will be, they will tell you keep it covered as well.

As long as you are 18+ having a loaded pistol in your car is A-ok!, so yes we do have peaceable journey.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
old thread - new questions

hi Mississippi folks...will be traveling to your great state for my first time...navy has moved the kids to Gulf Port base...
I'm a S. Carolina boy and we don't list reciprocity with Miss at this time...the other states in my journey are fine and my reading of the Miss laws looks like I will be ok having a hand gun in my car with me for safe travel..just won't plan to carry it on me when I'm out n about..in fact I plan to have the gun packed well away in luggage by the time we hit the base gates..where I imagine they won't want me to bring it on base either?

any help is much appreciated...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
hi Mississippi folks...will be traveling to your great state for my first time...navy has moved the kids to Gulf Port base...
I'm a S. Carolina boy and we don't list reciprocity with Miss at this time...the other states in my journey are fine and my reading of the Miss laws looks like I will be ok having a hand gun in my car with me for safe travel..just won't plan to carry it on me when I'm out n about..in fact I plan to have the gun packed well away in luggage by the time we hit the base gates..where I imagine they won't want me to bring it on base either?

any help is much appreciated...
You can carry it in your car.

·
Registered
694 Posts
wow there are alot of people from MS here...i thought it was the only one

we are a peaceable journey state
we are a "shall issue" state im not sure about OC but i havent ever seen it in my 27 years of living here so my guess is that its either a no go or a really bad idea

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.