1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me input on the Mitch Rosen ARG holster? I'm contemplating buying one, but the price makes buying one a bit risky unless I have some reports on it. I'm mainly concerned with easy of draw from the holster, and whether it is indeed as discreet as is claimed. I'm planning on using it to carry a Combat Commander.

-Chris

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Chris,
I had an ARG for all of 24 hours, sold it right away. Rosen leather is a very high quality product. However each holster is suitable for a particular body and draw style. I switched right away to his USD. My particular build is rather "thick" around the middle, shall we say? Keeps me warm during those very cold Austin, Texas winters (heh, heh). However, I found the ARG was very unstable on the belt. It's best worn by shooters who are slender around the waist. The USD has got a wider and more stable couple of loops on the belt. The ARG only has one. I like a holster that is more stable for my draw. It's discreet, no doubt about it. But your satisfaction with it will depend upon your build. I'd recommend the Uncle Sal's Decision. Good luck with your choice.

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Administrator
18,581 Posts
Hey Paladin,
Where ya been brother??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
*grin* I'm 6'2" and built like a telegraph pole. That was precisely the information I was looking for. I'm debating getting one of his "Express Line" ARG rigs to make sure it fits me, but I imgine i could probably get rid of a Mitch Rosen holster pretty easily if I found it wasn't right.

-Chris

·
Registered
114 Posts
Chris..

I have an ARG-Slim, with a snap loop, for my Beretta Min-Cougar. I am 5'9", medium build and 145lbs. The snap loop is great for us non-LEOs who have to be able to easily take off the rig when confronted with a Government Building or other similar place where CCW is forbidden.

Positives:
1) Feels great
2) Well Made
3) Having the belt attachment point offset from the main "bulk" of the holster aids greatly in concealment.
4) When worn w/ a Rosen belt it stays put - no sliding at all
5) The cant angle helps to keep the barrel from digging in too much and the pistol butt fits into the contour of your back.

Negatives:
1) Needs a leather slide protection extension.
2) New it's very tight - you will need either his Leather Lightning (I'm still waiting for mine - ordered 14 months ago) or Hyde Glyde, I received 2 days after faxing in the order and worked wonders on my ARG that is 7 months old and was still sticking, now it’s silky smooth. ( http://www.c-rusty.com/pages/other%20prod/hydeglyde.html )
3) The long production wait was unbearable - as was the lousy customer service

Alternatives: (Similar styles from other well respected holster makers)
1) MOB, Lou Alessi http://www.rfholsters.com/rfholsters/product.asp?dept%5Fid=10&pf%5Fid=AH%2DMOB , This one uses the Alessi Talon clip which will clip onto waist of your pants without a belt. The clip holds on very well, your belt can actually go over the clip that aids significantly in concealment. (I have the Talon and it works great)
2) Sidewinder, Waldon Leather, http://www.waldonholsters.com/wwwwaldon/IWB/IWB.htm

There are probably others out there - these are the ones I'm considering for my next purchase.

-- Chuck

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
Hey, LW--I've been working my butt off, focused on business. One of my top employees was in a ranching accident a month ago, digging fence post holes for his father-in-law in Yoakum, outside Houston. He got his left hand caught in the auger and it ripped off his arm between wrist and elbow. Believe it or not, the surgeons reattached the arm (modern technology, amazing stuff!)and he's in recovery now. I've been covering for him while he's going through the trauma--his medical coverage requires I keep him employed. So I've been doing the "nose to the grindstone" bit, making sure he has a job to come back to.

Chris--sorry to have taken up your topic space, but LW asked...

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem, Paladin.

So Mitch Rosen has a long wait period and questionable customer service...that's not too good. I like the Sidewinder, but I wasn't able to acess any Alessi pages. Server might be down. I'm also looking at a Wilson Combat holster called the Summer Companion, but it doesn't look as low-profile as the ARG.

-Chris

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
I agree with Son, go to Terry Peters to order your Rosen. He's great to deal with and very fair on price. I hear Alessi's are outstanding as well. Lou's next on my list for a holster purchase when I get around to it. But the Rosen is a great piece of leather if you're interested in it. If you can't get to Alessi's info, email Dane Burns, or go to Dane's web site. He sells Alessi on his site. Dane's another good guy, and superb gunsmith.

------------------

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi Chris

If you do decide on the Rosen ARG I too would go with getting it from Terry Peters. Just like Son and Paladin we have all been treated very well by Mr. Peters and he is an absolute pleasure to deal with.

Ross T.

·
Registered
591 Posts
You can see Lou Alessi's holsters at:
http://www.rfholsters.com

You might also consider Rusty Sherrick. I've got 5 of his holsters now. Great stuff, fast turnaround, fair prices, and he's a nice guy. Rusty's a one man shop, so you talk directly to him. I've never had a customer service problem.
http://www.c-rusty.com

I'm not impressed with the Wilson Combat holster that I have. They're production line holsters made by Safariland. YMMV.

I've seen Mitch Rosen's work. Looked great. His prices are breathtaking. I'm not convinced that he's products are worth the premium price. I haven't ordered from him, but I have a friend who did. He said that it was a great holster, but he hated dealing with them. He now carries mostly in one of Rusty Sherrick's holsters.

M1911

·
Registered
658 Posts
Chris,
If you decide you want an ARG, I have an Express in black, for a Commander. This Express is a little different, as it has a sewn belt loop, like the regular ARG. The express line now has snap-on belt loops, if I understand correctly. I bought it from Mitch Rosen , and he said it was a little better than the normal ARG Express because of the way it was made. I wore it here in the house for a few minutes, made a few presentations, and decided it was not for my body style. (like Paladin, thick around the middle) It is an excellently crafted holster, in nearly new condition, and I will sell it for $65.00 shipped Priority Mail anywhere in the USA. I paid $85.00 plus $7.00 shipping for it.

Regards,
Neal

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Neal, I'll bear it in mind. I'd prefer something that has snap-on belt loops because of the flexibility that offers. But it's a very tempting offer indeed...

I'm also contemplating an NSA holster by Galco. I spotted it for sale on one of the sites listed in the posts, but didn't see a price on it. Also, Galco isn't listing it in their on-line catalog...anyone know if they're still being made?

-Chris

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
Chris

Be prepared in your search for the ultimate holster to have a bunch holsters headed for "holster heaven" as Paladin mentioned those do no fit your particular draw or life style.

Whats best.

My usual recommendation is none. What fits your needs and style is best.

I personnally like and use the Rosen ARG DL with snaps but it is expensive. I also use the Rosen USD with snaps for another gun but my dress style and body configuration is not yours.

I have had good luck and good service with the Milt Sparks line but I wore them out in two or three years.

Irregardless you will join the rest of us in sending your unwanted and uneeded holster acquistions to "holster heaven" (AKA for sale or trade) when it doesn't meet your needs.

Hope this helps

------------------
Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters

http://www.pt-partners.com

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I like the ARG so much that I
ordered one of Waldon's Sidewinders.
The ARG is a first rate piece of leather
at a first rate price. I own one and like it. Mark Waldon's Sidewinder is very similar in design and quality at a friendlier price. I own one of those too and like it as much as the ARG.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I've not managed to get my hands on an ARG and you're right, it's very nice indeed. Happens that another holster that had been on backorder for four months (and which I'd written off) has also suddenly arrived, so I'm set for a while.
That being the case I think I'll close this thread down. Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

-Chris

1 - 18 of 18 Posts