1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with Mitch Rosen's holsters? They come highly recommended. The ARG IWB sure does look good. Thanks for any info you can provide.

------------------
Goodnight Chesty, Wherever You Are.

·
Registered
114 Posts
SGT..

I have an ARG-Slim, with a snap loop, for my Beretta Min-Cougar. I am 5'9", medium build and 145lbs. The snap loop is great for us non-LEOs who have to be able to easily take off the rig when confronted with a Government Building or other similar place where CCW is forbidden. I put the order in May 2000 and received it September 2000.

Positives:
1) Feels real good
2) Well Made
3) Having the belt attachment point offset from the main "bulk" of the holster aids greatly in concealment.
4) When worn w/ a Rosen belt it stays put - no sliding at all

Negatives:
1) Needs a leather slide protection extension. I talked w/ Mitch Rosen about this and he was rather reluctant to even consider it.
2) New it's very tight - you will need either his Leather Lightning (My order took 18 months w/ no contact from “Customer Service”) or Hyde Glyde, I received 2 days after faxing in the order and worked wonders on my ARG that was 7 months old and was still sticking, now it’s silky smooth. ( http://www.c-rusty.com/pages/other%20prod/hydeglyde.html )
3) The long production wait was unbearable - as was the lousy customer service

Alternatives: (Similar styles from other well respected holster makers)
1) MOB, Lou Alessi http://www.rfholsters.com/rfholsters/product.asp?dept%5Fid=10&pf%5Fid=AH%2DMOB , This one uses the Alessi Talon clip which will clip onto waist of your pants without a belt. The clip holds on very well, your belt can actually go over the clip that aids significantly in concealment. (I have the Talon and it works great)
2) Sidewinder, Waldon Leather, http://www.waldonholsters.com/wwwwaldon/IWB/IWB.htm

But the real question is “Am I still wearing it regularly?” – the answer is no. I received my CQC/I (w/ split snap loops) from Lou Alessi about 6 weeks ago and it is now my primary IWB. With the ARG I ended up w/ more of a sore hip from the way the muzzle was sitting “on top” of my right cheek – kinda poking in., the CQC/I is more comfortable and more of the pistol is below the waist band (significantly helps in concealment).

-- Chuck

[This message has been edited by ctc (edited 12-06-2001).]

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
I have several Rosens. I use the black shark/cordovan Uncle Sal's Decision which is much better for the "full-figured" gentleman. I tried the ARG and it just doesn't have the stability when your waist doesn't want to be stable. I also own his shoulder rig, which is a superb design.

Quality is great, but the wait is long and it does stick for a long time. I recieved the Leather Lightning, which does the trick. But it is tight. The price is up there as well.

I find Lou Alessi's gunleather to be very well done, as well as Matt DelFatti's. I only wear the Rosens when it's a dressier occasion. The Alessi has better balance and the DelFatti is a great casual wear western basket weave for jeans.

I know Mitch can be a tough character, but I've never had any problem when I've spoken with him over the phone. Just make sure he doesn't see you as an "ambulance chaser" and a real customer, and you'll be fine. He gets calls from a lot of people who are more interested in sucking his brain dry rather than compensating him for his product. Lou Alessi is an outstanding, customer-service oriented leathersmith. Their personalities are just very different. Lou is proactive about dealing with customer satisfaction. Mitch has chosen not to follow that path. But the man has a great product and many people use it.

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Quality leather, some good designs, long delivery times (if you buy direct), high price.

My friends who bought direct were all "less then satisfied" with his customer service. I've never spoken to the man. I had an ARG for a 1911, never fit "me" as well as some other IWB holsters.

Try Sparks, Alessi, Kramer leather first.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Greetings,

I have had several holsters from Mr. Rosen, and as others have said, "pricey, long wait, and less-than-perfect-function," are all part of having one of his holsters. Also, Mr. Rosen can be rude and short with you even after you have given him lots of your money and waited a long time for his products. Maybe several years ago he was really the only game in town for quality gun leather, but just because his holsters photograph well in American Handgunner magazine does not mean that his deal is the best. I suggest, along with the other replies here, to go with Alessi, Sparks, etc.

ktmhk53

·
Banned
802 Posts
Stick with Sparks, Kramer, or Alessi. Rosen is overpriced and his designs are inferior to those offered by the above three.
When you are charging the most you should be the best, and if you want MY business then I should be accorded the courtesy that my patronage requires.

------------------
DVC,
Sean

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your opinions on this subject. I personally thought the wait was a little excessive. But having never purchased concealment gear of this quality, I presumed it was the norm. I'll be sending my business elsewhere thanks to you guys. I'm going to go check out all your suggestions right now. My Christmas present needs a home, you know?
Happy Holidays and Semper Fi, Tom

------------------
Goodnight Chesty, Wherever You Are.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have a MR Workman for my Colt Officers ACP. I hate to say it but it is by far the bset holster I have. I have a dawer full of them. I purchased it a something they already had on hand so I did not have the wait, but it was expensive. I must say it was worth it. Just my $.02. The holster is of the highest quality and funtion.:cool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I can say from dealing with Lou Alessi that his service is great. I asked for the leather indexing pad/sweat tab (whatever you call it) and he built it to my specs without extra charge and with only a 6 week wait. The price was great also, only $75 including shipping through RF holsters. I couldn't be happier with the transaction or the product. :)

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
I have two words for anyone considering a Rosen rig -

Go Alessi!

I think that about sums it up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts