1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who shoot mixed brass in 45 ACP:

After sorting and sizing the two thousand or so once fired cases that I had collected, I noticed that some Federal and Speer cases had abnormally large flash-holes. In fact, they were some 50% larger. So, I sorted the cases by flash-hole size within the Federal and Speer lots and ran a test.

I worked-up a load for the small hole brass that averaged 1" at 50ft. Then, I tried it in the small hole brass, but the average group size doubled. I tried this in both Federal and Speer lots. The results were the same.

This was low-pressure target ammo. Just imagine the implications in some of the +P level reloads.

Another issue is brass tension on the bullet. I noticed that the small hole Federal cases required a lot more effort to expand and bell the case mouth. There was no difference between the small hole and the large hole Speer cases, however.

In my limited test, it seems, that sorting brass by headstamp, flash-hole size, and maybe by brass tension makes sense. What do you all think?

·
Registered
323 Posts
2" at 50 feet is close enough for me!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I'm glad I refuse to use Federal brass and never run across any Speer to speak of.

The only oversize flash holes I see regularly is from the WinClean ammo. So far there's been no noticeable accuracy difference for me.

What brass did you use to work up those 1" groups?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What brass did you use to work up those 1" groups?[/B][/QUOTE]

Federal Classic and Speer Lawman- I got 1"groups with both brands, just different powder/primer combinations out of my Series '70 Gold Cup.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a really hard time seating primers in the Federal Classic (FC) brass, it tends to get caught on the little shoulder inside the primer pocket and crush the primer instead of seat it. I sort out the Federal and throw it away. I also noticed the hole difference, but paid little mind to it. I agree with the above post.....2" @ 50 feet!! Dead is dead!! Good enough for me!
Actually, I have very consistent groups, no complaints here at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While you might be satisfied with the groups you are getting, be careful when approaching maximum loads with mixed brass because we don't know what effect the above mentioned variables have on pressure. It's easy to hit 40,000PSI in the 45ACP. Some of the posted loads I have seen have flattened my primer as if it was a high power rifle. If your load is on the borderline, the weird flash hole just might carry you over.

·
Registered
431 Posts
paul84043,
If that FC brass has a date (FC 91 for example), I believe that it is loaded to military spec, which means it has crimped in primers. You can ream the primer pockets before the first loading and it should work fine. I got some of this brass from Havoc this spring and it works fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts