1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might you experts give an opinion on value of mixed 1911's?

What I mean is a frame and slide on war 1911's with obvious rearsenal or "wrong-war slides".

Just poking around local sales here I have seen several of these and passed them up.

·
Registered
24,378 Posts
Speaking of mixed parts guns.

I could not believe it. The other day I actually came across a Union Switch and Signal slide on an Essex frame. What were these people thinking? :barf:

·
Administrator
74,039 Posts
I assume the OP is actually talking about guns that are 100% USGI, but have mixed parts from different contractors. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them as long as they're not obviously put-togethers from Bubba's basement, but the fact remains there are enough 100% correct specimens out there that mixmasters are somewhat low on the collectibility and desireability scale. I certainly wouldn't pass one up if the price was right, but too many people are asking way too much for these. $1500 buys you a nice clean, original Remington Rand if you shop around, so there is little point in paying as much for a mixmaster. $900-$1000 is more like it. The guns with cheap aftermarket frames (such as Essex) are nothing but shooters, no matter who made the slide (even if it says S. Mfg. Co.). An Essex/GI hybrid is a $450 gun to me, and I think somebody is better off buying a new commercial Colt or Springfield for just a couple hundred dollars more.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Mix-Master 1911A1's...

It's seems a number of mix-master 1911A1's have made their way into Canada over the years. I have had a number of them, some in really nice shape. Most of the mix-masters I've had have been "SA" stamped. And they all have made good shooters..... Here's an example:

1943 Ithaca serial number range 862,XXX with Remington Rand slide:

NAA.

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
Yes, the Ordnance Salvage Board reclaimed WWI recievers. They might have gone thru Springfield, but some were Colt WWI recievers with heart shaped cut outs and 'H' provisional inspection marks. According to Clawson, these Colt WWI recievers are typically seen in Ithaca's serial number range prior to 870,000.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Nice looking, and rare.... Colt furnished frame to Ithaca with the WWI heart shaped cut outs. A variant not often seen.
The salvaged 1911 receivers came from Colt pistols sold to the U.S. government in WWI, and they were sent from Springfield to Ithaca in December of 1942. Being Colt didn't mean they were furnished by Colt.
The receivers sent to Ithaca by Colt were new production 1911A1 receivers, and had no markings.

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
The point I was making... and made... was it is a WWI Colt frame with heart shaped cut outs that was used in early Ithaca production. A variant not often seen.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
And the point I was making, and made, was that Colt did not furnish the 1911 receivers to Ithaca, which you had in your original post.
If someone would like further information on who furnished the receivers, it is on page 53 of Clawson's 3rd edition of his Collector's Guide.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Okay, so who did the finger reliefs behind the trigger? Springfield or Ithaca?
Ithaca converted the receivers to 1911A1 specifications, as well as removing any original USP or serial numbers. Ithaca then applied the 1911A1 markings as well as the serial numbers assigned to them.
The receivers were just left over 1911 receivers stored at Springfield until they needed in WWII to help Ithaca start production.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Okay, so who did the finger reliefs behind the trigger? Springfield or Ithaca?
As already stated, Springfield Armory provided M1911 receivers.

Ithaca performed the work to convert them into M1911A1 receivers. The Clawson book is a great source of information for those who have it and read it.

Is there an echo in here? Sorry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts