1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a couple of rebuilt shooters that I've put together with the help of Bill Adair. The Slides and barrels came from my personal stash of GI parts assembled over the years. The frames were both used as 50's era bullseye gun platforms and had been blued. I got them both for under $200 total. Both original slides have long since disappeared. Both guns had some pitting that Bill removed. All markings were recut; some were pretty faint due to long-ago polishing. The Colt with the Ithaca slide now has a mint WW2 HS barrel; the other Colt has a later Colt slide w/o the serial number under the slide stop and a post-war Colt barrel. While not "correct", both guns are in better shape than the .45s in my arms room (we still have a few) and both have all GI parts. And both will hold the black on a 25 yd timed fire target using a 6 o'clock hold. Nice shooters- cheaper than any Springfield or Kimber and all GI!
PS These are my first photos. Bob (OIF2)

·
Administrator
73,795 Posts
While they look great, I'm not so sure it's a good idea for Bill to be making the inspection marks appear to be stamped after finishing. It may fool somebody into thinking the pistols are still virgins.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The guns are out there- thousands of nice .45s were butchered to make bullseye guns in the 50's and 60's. Both of these guns had replacement Rem Rand slides with old NM sights that I traded off. All the markings were there, they just needed to be freshened up. Only thing I'd like to find now is an original, nice WWII Colt barrel for one of the guns. Both are shooters, though, that have given me much pleasure at the range. If they had their original finishes and parts it would be a crime using them. I have the best of both worlds.
Bob (OIF2)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts