1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A close friend wanted me to put this on my permit for him. After losing his battle with cancer I'm now in possession of his model 08111 Colt, S/N dated 1986 per Colt's website. It's completely stock right down to the finger bushing. No idiot scratch, probably 200 rounds through it, and I have the original box.
So what do I have, and what do I do with it? No one in his family has a CC permit nor has any interest in getting one. And I already have a Springfield TRP that feeds my 45ACP needs.
Do I make it a safe queen? Put a 22 conversion on it? Shoot it in memory of him?
I'd make his widow an offer on it but I have no idea what it's worth.

·
Administrator
73,982 Posts
Leave it stock, and either keep it in his memory or put it up on Gunbroker on his widow's behalf with a starting bid of $850.

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
If I were in your position, I would keep it and do with it what you wish the two of you could do with it. Sorry for your loss.

·
Premium Member
15,713 Posts
Take it out and shoot it along with the TRP. I bet it's more accurate than the TRP and you like shooting it better. I definitely would not 'get rid' of any Colt, but would probably give the widow $500 for it. She may well thank you but say 'No, you keep it since he already gave it to you.'

·
Registered
479 Posts
Take it out and shoot it along with the TRP. I bet it's more accurate than the TRP and you like shooting it better. I definitely would not 'get rid' of any Colt, but would probably give the widow $500 for it. She may well thank you but say 'No, you keep it since he already gave it to you.'
If you're going to be generous, be generous with the widow. If she finds out you offered her significantly below market, she'll never think highly of her late husband's friend.

If you want the Colt, give her fair market value, otherwise, sell it and give the widow the proceeds (if that's what she wants).

·
Registered
23,221 Posts
I would keep it and remember your friend when you shoot it. You know 1985-1990 there was a union strike at Colt where temp workers put many of the guns together. Generally I look at guns built in this time frame very carefully.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
If you don't really want it then I echo the sentiment of some others. Put it up on Gunbroker, or, if you have a decent LGS that is fair with consignment fee, let them sell it for you/the family.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Right now I consider it as being in safekeeping so his widow doesn't have to turn it into the local PD (this is NY.) I'm leaning toward keeping it and offering her fair market for it since it does have sentimental value for me. And I'll keep it stock. But should I decide to sell it there's a local LGS I've been dealing with who I trust and does consignments.

·
Premium Member
20,417 Posts
Ask her what she wants. Maybe she'd like to keep it as a remembrance and do whatever permit process it takes to make it hers to pass on as a family heirloom. Maybe she's not interested in it and tell you to keep it as his best friend. The decision should be hers. Do make sure she knows what will happen to it if she turns it over and you don't want to see that happen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts