1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a used MkIII that I am thinking about buying, anything I should know regarding this piece? I thought the price was right at $400, it appears to be in very good cond. Thanks

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Look at the first 5 digits of the serial #, and then look at http://www.fnhipower.com/productionyears.htm to see what year model it is.

Is it stock or has it had work done to it? If it looks good and everything works, and you don't think a gun-hack has been messing with it, then $400 isn't a bad price.

Hi Powers are great guns! I sure am happy with mine.

------------------
Byron Simpson

·
Registered
407 Posts
I just paid $450 for a used mk3 with 2 pre ban mags (actually traded a sick colt commander)
$400 seems like a great deal, if it is in working order.
All I need to do now is get mine refinished....thinking of having it parkerized.
classy, yet sinister.
i'd say go for it.
cheers,
Derek

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well according to the website link provided by GrandmasterB it's a 1989 model, I went back today and had another look. I also talked to the guy that could give me the best price on it...he said $425 out the door!
looks like I will be buying a Hi-power 9mm tomorrow. Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went out and shot it last weekend for the first time! 100 rounds through it flawlessly. After I got used to it, it was pretty much hitting POA. I really like this gun and now most of my friends are eager to shoot it as well;-)
Joe

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hello:

I myself recently picked up a used Mark III for $399. The gun was mint, showed absolutely no wear, and came with 2 - 13 rd. Meg-Gar mags. Since the trigger pull was typical NIB Browning (about 10 lbs.), I had to get a trigger job done. Now it's about 4.5 pounds, no creep, very crisp.

The gun is positively a joy to shoot. Groups very well, shoots to point of aim, and is totally reliable with everything so far. I got 3 of the 17-rd KRD mags from CDNN. Now I also have a new pancake holster from Old World Leather (Uncle Mikes on the Web), so am ready to roll.

Good shooting,

Hannibal Lecter

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Mr. Angry - you should be really happy with your MkIII. I've had one for a number of years. They are the best of the lot in 9mm as far as I'm concerned. I am not a huge 9mm fan, but feel the need to have ONE and the BHP does it for me. Enjoy! :) Regards, NAA

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
P.S. Why do you call yourself Mr. Angry? I was in Fresno once and it seemed like a nice place! Regards, NAA

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
$400 for a BHP in Fresno :confused:

Most dealers around town are straight list on everything, except for the rare sale on this & that.

I had a Mk III some years ago and it was a good 9mm, just never cared for the magazine safety and knew even then removing it was asking for trouble.

You can actually get better deals on pistols in the Bay Area, believe it or not!:cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NAA,
I named myself MrAngry because I can't drive a car 50' without somebody pissing me off, and I have a license plate with that name on it to prove it! If you don't remember how bad the drivers here are I'm sure Tex does! BTW Tex where are the best gun shops in the bay area? Don't you think I did pretty good on the Mk III? They just sold another BHP for $479.
Joe

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Mr. Angry....

Hey Joe, I get you. It has been about 4 years since I was in CA. (My ex was from CA and my former in-laws still live near San Jose, CA). Anyway, yeah the traffic & drivers! It must be the same everywhere, though.... usually blue hair or a hat or simply 'impaired by windshield'. :) Anyway, enjoy your new BHP. Regards, NAA

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
try Contra Costa County Collectable Firearms in Walnut Creek

www.cccfirearms.com

One hell of a neat shop. Mainly he has antiques and collectables, but also stocks new Kimbers at 10% off list. In the trendy downtown Walnut Creek area, your spouse can also go shop at the numerous specialty shops in the area.

Traders in San Leandro has a large selection, sometimes decent prices, though the sales staff can be a pain at times.

American Guns in Antioch had very good prices, but I don't often get out there since moving to Fresno.

There are others, one in Cupertino in particular that had a great selection, but fairly high prices...I forget their name.

Who in Fresno has Hi-powers for $479?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Gun Shops in San Jose, CA??

Hey anybody know if "The Gun Exchange" or "The Powderhorn Gunshop" are still operating in San Jose, CA? Used to be the first place I'd visit on trips there. The Powderhorn was real cool. :D The owner used to sit right in the front with a 'cocked & locked' 1911 on his hip. Always ready to have a good talk about guns, too. Used to buy some real nice lead bullets there for reloading that were coated with some grey stuff and apparently didn't need any other lube.... Regards, NAA .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts