1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran across one of these in LGS today. I know next to nothing about them, except that I have been wanting a .44 special DA since the day I got my Ruger Bisley.

It had a round butt combat grip and my first thought was "Lew Horton", but didn't get to confirm that.

Labeled "As New". Blued finish. I had a pending appointment, store very crowded so didn't get to fondle it, but it looked to be in excellent condition. $699. Decent price? Steal? Highway robbery?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Ugh. Man, you just described my nightmare scenario. I've been lusting after a Horton 24 in blue for many a year, and have yet to just run across one in my neck of the woods. I keep telling myself that if I ever do and it's anything like reasonable (in both shape and price) I'd have to grab it. 7 bills is a lot of scratch for a po' boy like me, but I think if I were you....yeah, I'd be getting creative with the pending explanation to my wife about where that money went. I don't know if you've been wanting one as hard as I have, but if I were in your place, I think I'd have to.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
If it is a 3" (not 2 3/4") LH 24 from the mid '80s with the original grips, then that is a very good price.

Here is what the grips should look like on a mid-80s 3" 24/624/29/629:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
When you actually find any S&W model in .44 special, you had better not wait or it WILL be gone.
I have not seen one at any LGS for several years. They do appear on Gun Broker at times, but the prices are very high, and you do not get to fondle the gun before you buy.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I own a LH Model 24-3, that I found about 3 years ago. I thought I got a screaming deal at $700 with box, tools and spare stocks. They're now running at $900, and above. Places like Fugate Arms are asking $1300, and up. They have two in stock.

If you ever find another, Lew Horton can confirm if it was one of theirs. They confirmed mine via email. Sorry you missed a chance.

·
Registered
591 Posts
When you actually find any S&W model in .44 special, you had better not wait or it WILL be gone.
I have not seen one at any LGS for several years. They do appear on Gun Broker at times, but the prices are very high, and you do not get to fondle the gun before you buy.
I'll second that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts