1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. How are you supposed to use that little 15-inch "cleaning rod" that screws into the front of the rifle?

2. How does a sling attach to that hole in the stock back there behind the pistol grip?

3. Is a stamped magazine floorplate, staked permanently to the magazine/trigger guard assembly, a standard M48 configuration?

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, popeye. That site gave me the answers to #1 and #2. It actually made #3 a bit more of a problem, because they show the Model 48 with a detachable, milled floorplate. My Model 48 has a stamped, permanently affixed floorplate, which mystifies me to this point.

------------------

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I purchased my M48, I noticed that the dealer stocked rifles that had milled parts and rifles that had stamped parts. The guns were priced accordingly (milled = more cash)and the dealer said the stamped guns were acutully M48A's. These were done up as a cost-savings, much as we did when we changed from our '03 Springfields(all milled) to our '03A3 Springfields (partially stamped).

Have you shot yours yet? If so, how did it do? Mine will hold under an inch at 100yds. using Surplus Turkish 8mm (purchased from Dillon's @$4.50 per 70rd. bandolier).

·
Registered
8 Posts
The stamped floorplate you're referring to is not permanently attached to the trigger housing. It only LOOKS like it is. You can remove it in exactly the same fashion as the milled version. When looking at the plate you will notice a hole near the trigger guard. Depress the release within that hole with a punch and slide the floorplate towards the trigger guard. The follower spring should now pop the floorplate loose.

I made the same erroneous assumption when I first looked at these rifles.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stellarpod, the problem was that someone in the past had tried to pry that floorplate off. That bent the rear portion of the floorplate - the portion that interacts with the release - and kept the floorplate from coming off. After I saw the problem and did some remedial bending, the floorplate came off.

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts