1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought this 1911 many years ago from an old friend. He said his grandfather brought it back from the war, he thought WWI. I have seen others and noticed the finish on mine was different. It looks very old as you can see in the pictures it is worn off the front and backstrap. The finish looks like it was a deep blue at one time. I am now thinking it was refinished. I guess this will affect the worth negatively, not that I ever want to sell it but...... Any thoughts would be appreciated.http://www.fototime.com/inv/4C186E44A8A9E0D

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Looks alot like the 1913 I have but with more finish wear on the front and back of the frame. The finish looks original to me. Can you take a pic of the other side of the gun?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks alot like the 1913 I have but with more finish wear on the front and back of the frame. The finish looks original to me. Can you take a pic of the other side of the gun?[/QUOTE
Yes I will do that later this week. I thought the miltary guns were parkerized or something, not blued like the civilian ones. 1913 cool, any pictures?

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Refinish?

The serial number would sure help, as the slide is the late type with the Rampant Colt in the middle, started about April of 1918.
What has been the opinion on the 1911.org board?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Here's that pick of my 1913, I quess the finsh is pretty wore on the front strap. I haven't looked at it in a while.:(

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
This is typical of guns of this age which have been used (but not abused). I have two that look just like this. Note how smooth the stock is and that is a clue to it being carried which results in the grip front and back (the metal) being worn and brown whereas the less touched surfaces of the slide, etc are still blue. Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts