1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did kimber call there CCO style pistol and did it come with a checkered front strap?

I mostly have Colts and other 5" guns do the Kimber's Comander size use a 4" or a 4.25 in barrel?

There is a used one (series 1) at a local shop that looks great with a checkered front strap and novak's for 670, is that fair?

Of course by the time I throw on slim grips, get rid of the guide rod and replace the mainspring housing plus a new size of leather and 6 officer's size mags I am up to a grand.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Kimber calls it the compact. From what I've seen they appear to be rather rare. the one you saw, did it have a black frame and stainless slide with a melt treatment? if so it is a Compact CDP.

Tim

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It did not have the heavy melt that they used to have, more in lines with the current guns. All stainless with the officer's frame, commander slide. I thought the compact was just the commander size gun? Do all these manufacture's really need new names for these sizes. I guess with all my colts I will always be calling them:

Goverment
Comander
Officers
CCO
etc

I guess I can give in to the micro compact name as colt really doesn't have a 3" equivelent unless the defender is 3".

My only non five inch guns are colts, a commander and a CCO and a C&S adventurer so I guess I never really brought myself to get used to their names.

·
Premium Member
20,373 Posts
The Compact has the 4" bull barrel on an officer's frame. The Pro is closest to the Commander, same 4" barrel on a full-size frame. I don't believe any stainless Compact came with front strap checkering, so someone probably added it. They're probably the stock sights, very similar to Novaks. If you've found an all-stainless pre-series-II Compact, grab it. They're hard to find. It's getting hard to put a price on them, since they're not making anything like them today. I'd have no problem paying that, especially with checkering.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, they are not the kimber stock sights I think as they do say novak on them so maybe it is an even better deal.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was a compact as AZ husker thought. I picked it up today. Someone must have added the checkering and the novak's. Az, you mentioned that it was discontinued. Is kimber's website just out of date?

·
Premium Member
20,373 Posts
I believe yours is an original series (not series-II). The II's have a firing pin safety activated by the grip safety. If your disconnector is there alone (no other protrusions through the frame) you've got an original. That, and the all-stainless (incl. frame) is no longer available. I've got one I've carried daily for five years. They are a great pistol!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see what you mean now AZ. I am familiar with the series II, I just thought you were refering to the whole size being discontinued instead of the series issue. My mistake.

·
Premium Member
20,373 Posts
I may be wrong, but I don't believe they're making an all-steel Compact anymore either.

·
Banned
141 Posts
AZ Husker said:
I may be wrong, but I don't believe they're making an all-steel Compact anymore either.
Well, according to Kimber's website:
"The Compact Stainless II features a stainless steel slide and frame. The frame itself is .400 inch shorter than the full length Pro Carry but still holds 7 rounds. "

and

"Compact Stainless II and Pro Carry HD II models have stainless steel frames."

Look here

1 - 11 of 11 Posts