1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's not get carried awy with the locking of threads. There was the Who's going to the IDPA Natl's thread and it gets locked, "because we know who's going" and I'll have the last word.

Come on guys, I think this is getting to you.
Jason has done a good thing here, and I am glad to see good ideas and conversations; hell I've even submitted a couple of the reviews.

Unless we are just rambling about non-relevant material or trying to sell firearms; not find out if the seller/purchaser is getting hosed on a sale; give your power trip a rest. All the closing of threads like the Natls will do is alienate visitors here.

Some of the threads have run several pages and literally beat the dead horse. They were not closed.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
[Now for the normal ingratiating beginning:] I think everyone--administrators and moderators alike--do a great job here (and for no pay), but I have to agree with portions of what abnranger is saying. I noticed several times that some moderators--especially newly appointed ones--act like a hammer looking for a nail. Yes, some of the threads start to double back on themselves, saying essentially the same old thing, but they are benign. I agree that name calling, shameless promotions for products & services, etc. should be eradicated as soon as they appear. But, the subjectivity and rapidity of some of the thread locks leave one wondering "Why?"

·
Administrator
73,398 Posts
Originally posted by fremont:
I noticed several times that some moderators--especially newly appointed ones--act like a hammer looking for a nail
Trust me, the more experienced moderators are aware of this as well. Anyone who is newly given power will mishandle it a bit at first. How many here got to be shift managers at McDonalds as a teenager? Those who did know what I'm talking about!

When necessary an administrator will re-open unnecessarily closed threads. Other times it is best just to leave it closed and let somebody else open a new one.

Moving topics to another forum is a different matter though, as the intent is have topics sorted where a later user can find it once archived. Please don't feel offended if your pet topic gets moved. This especially true regarding new members, as they seem to have a learning curve as well when it comes to just dumping everything in General Discussion!

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
2,953 Posts
Originally posted by abnranger:
Let's not get carried awy with the locking of threads.

Unless we are just rambling about non-relevant material or trying to sell firearms; not find out if the seller/purchaser is getting hosed on a sale; give your power trip a rest.
Point taken and I am basically in agreement.

Please keep in mind that the only method of communication we have as moderators is the "moderator forum". It takes a while for all of us to get on the same page on handling policy/forum changes. We actually have had several discussions on this topic over the past month.

As with every rule, some tend to follow it to the letter, some get it just right, and us lazy ones (this is my category) rarely get around to doing what we are supposed to do.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
You know, we live in a way too oppulent society when people have the time and inclination to complain about things provided to them for free by people who volunteer their time.

By and large, I think the moderators do a fine job with this forum and I appreciate it being here to access.

If there are some issues of misunderstanding what the rules are, why not just direct those with queries on the rules to the appropriate pages so that they can review them directly?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Not to be argumentative, but, Double Naught, you are just plain wrong. No one's complaining. This particular forum's title contains the word "suggestion." That's the spirit of my earlier comment and of others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts