1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a nice M-1 that I love to shoot, but I understand only surplus ammo is useable in these older rifles because of the gas system (modern ammo too powerful for it).

Is this true? If not, what modern ammo is okay to shoot? If I have to start reloading to get fresh ammo, where can I find the specs for the old military loadings? Thanks! --Brian

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I use PMC .30-06 150 grain FMJ ammo, and my Garand loves it. If I am ruining my rifle, I sure hope someone will tell me.

·
Administrator
74,056 Posts
Just don't shoot ammo above 180 grains and you'll be fine. Heavier stuff runs the risk of bending the operating rod over time.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Get the book, "The M1 Rifle" from the NRA. In it, you will find a list of loadings and powders and bullets that will prove safe in your rifle. Also, the Speer Manuals usually have loads identified that are safe in gas operated match rifles (read: M1 Garand).

------------------
"Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size;

When trouble rises, call on me and I will equalize."

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
2 weeks ago wile shooting at the 500 yd range
I was carrying a couple rifles to shoot.

this guy was shooting (spraying) with an M1 grand and I have never heard one crack quite like that, the loads were noticably loud!

5 min latter I over hear the guy say well the gun is 50 years old the metal was probably fatigued.

later we walked over, turns out he cracked the right front of the bolt off! he says no biggy
just get another bolt. I asked how much faces go for these days?

180 gr wolf ammo. I would pass on that stuff!

geo ><>

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hello all. No commerical ammunition should be used with the exception of ball ammo that meets us military spec. Commerical hunting ammounition uses proprietary slow burning poweders inappropriate for the Garands gas system. They will produce high port pressure. I stress the word port that being the hole near the front of the barrel which the gas cyclinder slides over. as for strenght when the testing was being done. the bursting pressure for the M1 was discovered to be 3 times higher than than that of the 03'. the guns as for the oprods you have little fear as long as you use GI spec or handloads loaded with a powder such as IMR 3031.

------------------
The Sharpshooter

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hey Sharpshooter, are you the same "Sharpshooter" who was a regular on the now-defunct M1 Garand rifle forum? If so, glad to have an experienced Garand owner here at 1911forum.com! (I was "caliber30" on the old forum, by the way.)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Just been reading along here, as I just acquired a vintage Springfield Armoury M1 Garand (sn# 5,34X,XXX) and I am planning on loading for.

I've heard that IMR 4895 or 4064 are the way to go with the M1. I have an 8# keg of IMR 3031 that I am going to start with. And some 150 gr FMJ bullets.

Can't wait to get this baby to the range!

NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi to all , and yes GI45 I am the same Sharpshooter good to see a familiar face. Frosty and Sgt Stinger are on the CSP along with me. And I am glad to help out when I can . NAA to answer your question IMR4895 is the old GI powder and the standard for the M2 ball rounds and a great powder. I can send you a list of accpetable powders for the M1 But I stand by IMR3031 as it is a great M1 powder. Bear in mind not to exceed a bullet weight of 175 grains. I also use only Fed 210 primers as I believe they provide the best iginition in the 30.06 and also never use magnum primers as the pressure increase might be too much with a max load in the M1. Stay low and shoot straight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts