1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How easy is it to switch over to:

A beavertail grip safety, flat mainspring housing and ambi-extended thumb safety?

Also which parts will fit? Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Baer....????:confused: :confused:

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
The first project I did was the beavertail. I wrote about it here: http://tinyurl.com/8cq79

The housing is pretty straight forward.

Of the three, the one I had the most problem with was the thumb safety.

I don't trust ambi safeties. They have a built in weak point that standard safeties don't, and I'm always afraid of brushing them off safe.

There's a lot written here, or on The High Road.

Get Kuhnhausen's manuals, both of them.

Have fun! :cool:

·
Registered
533 Posts
The mainspting housing is a drop-in part.

You can get a Wilson Drop-in beavertail and it will drop in. The catch is, the tail itself is not a close fit to the frame. There is a gap Which you may or may not find cosmetically objectionable. I didn't mind, and it feels comfortable.

I tried to swap out a CMC safety on my mil-spec and it had 2 clicks, rather than ON and OFF. It stopped just low enough to let the hammer drop, but not enough that the slide could have moved. Had to stone the lug, file the plunger engagement surface and make a new dimple. Not an easy part to fit. Don't know about other brands.

goog

·
Registered
229 Posts
I took the coward's way out and sent my milspec to SA and had them install it. They did a great job in a timely fashion, but it'll cost you.

·
Banned
190 Posts
I installed a King's drop in beavertail on my mil spec. This was after installing a Nowlin trigger kit to get rid of the trigger creep that came with the gun.

The King's drop in was a true "drop in" part. The picture below is how it ended up. The small gap is what they are talking about. For me, I can live with the gap. The cost of the Kings unit was $36, so for that price, I was happy and it works great.

I also installed a Smith & Alexander flat mainspring housing. This got rid of the factory ILS. Ambi safey's dont do anything for me, so I left the factory one installed.

One of the best additions I did for accuracy was install an EWG Bushing. This made a world of difference in consistence accuracy at 25 yards. Next to the Nowlin trigger, it was the best $30 I spent.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One question. What happens to Springfield's lifetime warranty when you start dropping in aftermarket parts?

·
Banned
190 Posts
Borderguard,

Warranty??? I dunno....for me and about six million other springer owners, I just dont know.

Dave.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts