1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Clackamas Custom Classic (K0052xx) that I had Kimber install their adjustable sight on shortly after I purchased it new. Do you think having this done affected the value of my pistol? if so, how much of a decrease? I have the work order/reciept from Kimber for the installation of the sight. In the picture I have a Wilson slide stop and Hogue Kingwood grips on it but I still have the original grips and slide stop for it. I'm not asking for a value as I've seen them going for anywhere between $450-$850 here in my area, I'm just wondering if having the sight installed (by Kimber) decreased the value of my gun. Thank you, fz4vgq

By the way, even though this pistol was never Super-tight it is without a doubt my most accurate pistol.....it makes me look like a much better shooter than I really am.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
There are two reasons that affect the value of your pistol, IMO. First of all, Kimber's LPA adjustable sights are of poor quality and prone to breakage. I'm not certain if they have remedied this problem yet, but it was prevalent up until 2002 or so. Second, your options of replacement sights are very limited after the slide has been cut for Kimber's adjustables.

When looking at a used firearm, the buyer has to consider the asking price in addition to any cost that may be incurred. These would be things that I would consider if I was looking at your pistol. This may not be an issue for others. Also, I would be looking at your pistol as one to shoot, not collector's value. I'd accept a higher price for a Clackamas model solely because they were better made during that time, not because they are of "collection status".

JMHO... hope it helps.

:D

btw, nice shooter! You should just keep it. ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
peply

Most older collectables that I have had experience with, that had factory upgrades were in no way devalued by the upgrades, may not add any value either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts