1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit it, I'm a tinkerer and can't leave well enough alone. I took my "new" lightly used Commander XS and just had to make it better (or at try to make it fit me better). For starters, I installed McCormick ultra thin grips, STI short trigger, a spacer and tool steel series 70 hammer and sear (this gave me a crisp 3.25lb pull). Then I went after the beavertail (I hated the vertical speed bump in the Colt beavertail). I didn't want to alter the frame so I ordered different beavertails (Kings, Brown, STI and S&A) from Brownells to see if any would fit. The only one that fit (w/ some modifications to the B/T) without altering the frame was the S&A. It came out looking pretty nice.

I also bought an EGW pre-fitted Commander bushing. It was initially tight, but after 100 rounds it shot in perfectly. For less than $20, what a difference in accuracy! Although the gun was fairly accurate to begin with, it's now a tack driver.

The ambi thumb safety was a little narrow for me (a lefty) so I installed a wide-paddle Wilson ambi safety. Definitely a major improvement. I also installed the poor man's checkering--skateboard tape.

I had a tungsten guide rod lying around so I cut it to fit the Commander. A Dremel and a few minutes did the trick. I also put in a 16lb recoil spring since I'm shooting fairly light loads.

The last modification is the sights. The XS uses a sight made by C-More with a Defender/Colt Competition sight cut. The only aftermarket sights (at least that I can find) are Heinie fixed sights and Ashley's. (I'm disappointed that MMC doesn't make an adjustable sight for the XS.) The Heinie's seemed to have the same sight picture as the original sight so I decided to try the Ashley's (will be here on Tuesday). If I like it, I'll install it.

Anyway, I took the gun to the range yesterday and what a joy to shoot. The slide to frame fit is perfect and the barrel locks up like a vault. So far, the XS is both accurate and reliable. Out of all my 1911s, it's my favorite. Colt sure got this one right.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Keep that up Howard, and you're gonna have a waiting list like Heinie and Vickers.

Glad you made your gun run good for you!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You do know the Committee for the Preservation of Endangered XS-Series Guns will have a warrant out now?

On my Defender, the Wilson and Caspian are nearly drop-in IIRC.
Did you leave teh plastic main spring housing in?
Ick, skateboard tape? :)
I would be interested in how you like the Ashley's, since I was thinking of them for my Defender.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
What... No Pictures?

The XS has been my "Elanore". I had an opportunity at the end of 1999 to purchase a LWT XS Commander, but due to the imminent loss of the ability to purchase "Sport Utility" weapons, I opted to pass on it, thinking I would be able to buy one later. When they disappeared, and then with the PRK's later restrictions on handguns, finding an XS is nearly impossible. I ended up with an Enhanced LWT Commander later, but would still have preferred the rounded top of the XS, although I am happy without the front serrations.

The XSE is approved here, but I will need to wait until I move out of state at this point, or "buy" one for my Father-in-Law, and transfer it later.

Kinda wish I had the funds back then, but such is life.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
An XS LW Commander is also my "shoulda bought it" ghost :)
They really were/ are cool.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgot to mention that I also put in an S&A magwell--I do that automatically with all my 1911s.

I know that the XS is an endangered species which is why I didn't want to alter the gun by cutting the frame to fit a beavertail. Right now, in 10 minutes I can bring it back to an out-of-the-box XS. You never know when you might have to sell a gun. BTW, I bought it at a gun show for $650--the gun was LNIB. I don't think the dealer knew what he had.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I also bought a LTWT XS Commander this year. It's a very nice gun, but some changes are inevitagble. I also hate the existing beavertail. That is the first to go. The mag release button is too shallow for me and I don't care much for those sights. Heinie's are probably in its future. A match bushing and possible match crown is all I have in mind at the moment. It is pretty accurate as is, so I feel a few minor adjustments just might tighten up my groups. The jury is still out on the action. It's not bad as is, however, nothing a good smith couldn't make better.....

·
Registered
684 Posts
I didn't know there was shortage of XS models. I bought a XS Officers and it's been sitting in the safe. What do these go for these days?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The XS's weren'[t made for long, maybe 2 years at most. That being said, I don't think it's so much collector value/ interest as it is that they really were great guns.
They sold for 600-650 new IIRC, and would probably realisitically sell in that same range used in good shape.
I've seen people asking for 800+, but personally think that's too high.
You might be able to get it for the officer's model, since they're not doing an XSE officers AFAIK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts