1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just acquired a Colt Enhanced Lightweight Officers Model with the flat top slide. I'm wanting to install a set of Novak or Bomar sights and most important, I want to serrate the flat top of the slide. Anyone know of a web site I could go to for some photos of this done so I could show my machinist? Or anyone recommend a good smith that can do this for less than the price of the gun?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Scott,

Go to www.Blindhogg.com. Pics and instructions abound. Chris is the 'smith and he appears to have his stuff together.

Learn and enjoy.

Waldo1

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great pictures on the Blindhogg website. I was ready to pack up my slide and send it to him until I read that he is only doing military and law enforcement until January of '03. Oh well. But his serrations on the flattop is exactly what I'm looking for. I was even going to have him install my Novaks too. Couldn't even find an E-mail link to ask him a question.

·
Registered
641 Posts
ScottsGT
Just sent you an email!
Unfortunately my backlog will not allow me to accept any more jobs for awhile. This is only a part time job for me.
Hey George I normally use a double angle bit to serrate the slide and do one line at a time, 11 lines at 30 LPI. Does the thread mill work very well? I beleive this will do all the lines at one time, Correct?
Chris from Va

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Hi Chris

We have a carbide single point thread mill ground now, has 6 flutes, 1/4" carbide shank and the head is under .350 so you can get pretty close on radiuses. ground from one pc solid.

Also we have some D&J holders we made for him , Don said we can sell. they hold a carbide insert that you cut all the lines in one pass, although with a slide as hard as 48 rc you may want to make several passes, also if your using a manual mill, climb milling is not a good choice so your limited on depth per pass. The third issue is
you can get inserts in 28 and 32 lpi.
so for 30 lpi
your back to single point or having a custom mill cut. that gets really expensive. we have 2 1 1/4" custom insert mills one 20 and one 30 at 400.00 a crack.

geo ><>

·
Registered
641 Posts
George
Thanks for the insight.
Chris from Va

·
Registered
372 Posts
George, did my Colt XSE sometime this year and the job was perfect I can highly recommend EGW. First rate work and a easy to talk to guy .OCG1911

1 - 8 of 8 Posts