Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/cobb/0905/13carjacking.html
Mom, suspect killed in carjacking, shooting

By DON PLUMMER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 09/13/05

Kimberly D. Boyd took her son to preschool Monday morning, then dropped by a bank before heading to her office in north Cobb County.

Minutes later, her routine was shattered, and sometime before 9:30 a.m. she was struggling for her life with a carjacker as her Toyota Sequoia raced south on U.S. 41. The kidnapping ended with the 30-year-old Acworth woman dead and the carjacker fatally shot by a passer-by.

Boyd died instantly when her SUV was broadsided by a cement truck, police said. Within seconds, the man driving Boyd's car was also dead — shot by Shawn Roberts, 31, who had seen Boyd fighting the man and followed the car, police said.

"She was fighting for her life," Roberts, who lives in Acworth, told WAGA-TV.
Roberts told police he was driving north on U.S. 41 about 9:30 a.m. when he saw a man beating a woman outside the SUV, just south of the Lake Allatoona bridge. He stopped and turned around on the four-lane road to help the woman, said Cobb Police Cpl. Dana Pierce.

The carjacker pushed the woman back into the SUV and took off, with the doors still open. Roberts followed about two miles to Lake Acworth Drive, where the crash occurred, Pierce said.

As Boyd's car turned east on Lake Acworth Drive it was struck by the cement truck.

Witness Bobby Williams said the truck had just started away from a traffic light and was traveling no more than 10 mph when it hit the SUV.
Williams, owner of A2Z Auto Service at 4356 North Cobb Parkway, said he saw Roberts get out of his 2004 black Dodge Ram pickup and run toward the accident scene wearing a leather shoulder holster.

"He looked official," Williams said, explaining that he thought Roberts might be a plain-clothes police officer. "He hollered at [the carjacker], 'Stay where you are. Stay where you are.'"

The carjacker ran toward a Raceway gas station on the corner and Roberts chased him. He told police the man turned a gun toward him, and he had to do something.

"I shot and killed a man today," Roberts told WAGA-TV. "I don't feel good about it, but if I hadn't have done something somebody else would have died."
Williams said he heard at least four, perhaps five, gunshots.
"He [the carjacker] was five feet in front of me when he got hit," Williams said. "On TV, all that flailing around that goes on is not what happened. He dropped like a sack of potatoes."

Monday night Cobb police identified the dead man as Brian Clark, 25, who has family in Acworth. Police did not say whether Clark lived in the area.
No charges were filed against the cement truck driver, who was not identified.
Police questioned Roberts, who they said was not an off-duty officer, before releasing him without filing charges.

"All I can say right now is to offer my condolences of the family of the woman," Roberts said when reached at his home Monday night in Acworth. "I'm postponing any comments just for a few days," he added, saying he was acting on legal advice.

Boyd's family could not be reached Monday.

Police are still unsure where the carjacking began, Pierce said. They are tracing possible routes from Allatoona Truck Rental, the business Boyd operated on Cherokee Street in Acworth, according to public records. Police said she left her office shortly after arriving there Monday morning. The first 911 call on the crash and shooting came in about 9:30 a.m.

Police also were investigating the possibility that the carjacker's gun had been taken in a robbery, rape and carjacking in Acworth last Tuesday, said Cobb robbery squad Lt. Tom Arnold.

"We're looking into that and whether the suspect in this assault is the same as in last week's attack in Acworth," Arnold said.

Acworth police spokesman Wayne Dennard said his department also is investigating the possibility that the man killed Monday morning was the suspect in a rape last Tuesday.

In last week's attack a woman was assaulted as she left home and was forced inside, where she was beaten and raped before being forced to drive to a nearby bank to get money from an ATM, Dennard said. The woman instead ran inside the bank and her assailant drove away in her car, which was later found abandoned, he said.

Late Monday, Boyd's SUV was driven on a flatbed into the Cobb crime lab impound building next to the medical examiner's office where the bodies of Boyd and her assailant were taken, Arnold said.

Fingerprints were taken from the dead man Monday, Arnold said. Autopsies on Boyd and the man are to be conducted today. Police will compare the dead man's fingerprints and DNA to evidence recovered from last week's attack, he said.

Staff writers Clint Williams and David A. Markiewicz and staff researcher Nisa Asokan contributed to this article.
Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Tough call on chasing the man after he ran. OTOH, I could never live with myself if I let him run, only to find out he did in fact do more harm to others. I have to commend the guy who helped to end this guy's criminal career.

It is sad that this woman died because of that low-life.

·
Super Moderator
13,518 Posts
The female victim killed was related to the civilian that came to her help, she was either his sister or sister in law.
Whether it's right or wrong, it is primal instinct to chase another being that runs away. Look at dogs, if you run away from a dog, it will chase you. Look at all of the security videos of robberies or other confrontations. When one side turns and run, the other side will chase.

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
BrianMajors said:
Tough call on chasing the man after he ran. OTOH, I could never live with myself if I let him run, only to find out he did in fact do more harm to others. I have to commend the guy who helped to end this guy's criminal career.

It is sad that this woman died because of that low-life.
It's not a tough question at all of whether or not it was the right thing to do. I'm glad to see Mr. Roberts was not charged. He should be commended.
Edit to add: Our opinions on his actions shouldn't overshadow the tragedy of this woman's death.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ricky T said:
The female victim killed was related to the civilian that came to her help, she was either his sister or sister in law.
I'm curious as to how you got this.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
I don't know where the info came from that the shooter was related to the victim. I don't believe that to be the case. I also don't believe the shooter will be prosecuted. If the uncivilized savage's family has the audacity to file a lawsuit against the shooter, they won't be successful. I'd further opine that there are a number of excellent lawyers in the area who'd represent the shooter, pro bono.

·
Super Moderator
13,518 Posts
STONES_SS said:
I'm curious as to how you got this.
From some guy driving a white Ford Crown Vic with yellow letters and blue lights on top. :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
I probably wouldnt have intervened. Woudlve stayed back following the minivan while calling the police.

Things escalated when the carjacker saw Roberts.

Its best to be sneaky as much as posible to retain tactical advantage. The less the bad guy knows the better.

This case couldve used some of that although in the heat of the moment its tough.

I certainly cant judge Robert's actions by just the facts in the article.

I guess justice was served right there, one less bad guy, no need to go to a lengthy trial or anything BUT unfortunally the inocent mother was killed.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
Just a little update: Shooter lived in same neighborhood with victim; don't know if victim was related to shooter. Deceased uncivilized savage had extensive record and should have been on the Georgia Bureau of Investigation's Sexual Predator's list, but somehow wasn't. Victim was shot by aforementioned uncivilized savage before wreck occurred, but was probably alive at time of wreck. Uncivilized savage has been linked by evidence to a rape that occurred in the same area, just a few days ago, in which aforesaid savage claimed to be a Katrina evacuee.

Thank God for real men with balls enough to "intervene!!!" What kind of a pusillanimous pansy would sneak around and not come to another's aid in a situation like this? I just can't understand that kind of fear-based mentality!

The hero will not be charged; if he's sued by the family of the uncivilized savage, there are a number of lawyers who'd represent him pro bono.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think there is a deference between chasing, and chasing and fireing. The gentleman chased the bg, however i think the key is, he did not open fire until the bg descided to draw his firearm.

Once the bg makes a theatening move its all over.

1 scumbag down, 350 million to go :p

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here's some additional facts regarding this incident. The passerby, Shawn Roberts, only "fired at Clark (carjacker) when the carjacker started turning his own gun toward him." In a news interview, I heard him say that he "feared for his life." Smart move on his part I think. Clark seems very well versed in the justified use of his firearm...indicates that his own life was in danger and that it was self defense.

http://www.11alive.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=69194

·
Registered
127 Posts
I did some Auxiliary Police time tonight. We stopped and talked with a deputy sheriff. The Deputy mentioned that one of the refugees from New Orleans had been shot in GA while trying to carjack someone after already having caused a woman to die in a wreck after carjacking her first.

This post sounds like same story.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
ArmyCop: The carjacker had claimed that he was an evacuee of Katrina when he raped a woman coupla days before the carjacking. He stole the pistol that he used in the carjacking from the rape victim. Guy wasn't an evacuee; he'd lied about that, just to gain entrance to the rape victim's residence.

Carjacker was a convicted sexual predator, but, for some reason, wasn't on the G.B.I.'s sexual offender list.

The good citizen didn't just run a guy down whom he saw running from a wreck. He'd witnessed the carjacking, including the carjacker's beating of the victim. He only shot the carjacker, as has been noted, when the carjacker raised his weapon. Good shoot. Good man, that shooter! I don't see anything Ramboesque about Mr. Roberts' (good guy) actions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts