1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Baer Monolith belongs to a forum member and friend. The last item on his wish list was "Go through and clean up the whole dang thing." Hmmmmm, sounds like carte blanche to me...Oh boy!

The sights are Tier One, custom fabricated by our own Chuck Rogers, specifically altered to correct an alignment problem.
The grip safety is the original Baer. After high-cutting the trigger guard, I heavily recontoured the grip safety to allow the rear of the gun to drop further into the hand. I also installed a stop pin for the right side ambi-safety paddle.

The bluing on this pistol is Custom Satin by Glenrock Blue in Wyoming. Phil, the owner, does SUPERB work!

·
Registered
1911 Pistol smith
463 Posts
Bob-
This is a beauty! Very clean, love the high cut and recontour of the GS. "more Rodgers perfection" as another guy named Rogers has been known to say!:biglaugh:

A huge +1 on Phil and Doug at Glenrock...great work from great guys!!! They are only about 20 minutes from me...lucky me!

·
Banned
672 Posts
Bob, that is super-clean. It's hard to pick out one detail to admire because there are a ton to choose from, each as impressive as the next! You bet I'll be coming back to see this one again...

Dave

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
And people say Baer's are perfect....I disagree!!! NOWWWWwwwww, it's PERFECT!!!!

just gorgeous Bob....I want me one of those in the commanche monolith.

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
WOOOOOOOOOOTTTT!!!!!!!
:)
Man! That's pretty!

Why am I looking at a Taurus in this issue of AH and not one of your guns?
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
pistolwrench said:
WOOOOOOOOOOTTTT!!!!!!!
Man! That's pretty!

:rolleyes:
I was wondering the same thing....I felt like the author of that article just came back from hiatus and has not had contact with the outside world in over a year.:scratch: another PT story with Ichiro photos....seems like a waste of manpower. LOL

Chuck...what was the diagnosis with the alignment and how did you solve it with custom sights?

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
DD,
Bob did not fit this barrel.

This one came from the manufacturer with a small windage mis-alignment.
The sights were adjusted but looked odd being off center.
I fabricated the front and rear Tier One sights with offsets to compensate. The result is perfectly centered sights that shoot point of aim.

·
Registered
21,988 Posts
pistolwrench said:
I've got the editor replying to my e-mail reviews.

Two issues now, he says:
"we're mostly just having fun, enjoying the guns and pictures here."
and
"It's for fun, so what the heck, eh?"

So it's all about fun for the staff.

·
Registered
673 Posts
i keep getting drawn back here to look again and again at that fine looking pistol.if it shoots as good as it looks, you got a fine gun there

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
Bob and chuck....is a trigger guard undercut useless without a beavertail, or is it still a good mod no matter?

That undercut is superb, I can only imagine how nice it feels with a perfectly blended and increased cut BT.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Honestly I am not even sure what to say. I can say that this gun is pretty much the ideal piece in my book. I love the full length dust cover on the Monolith.

Really terrific work Bob.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
pistolwrench said:
DD,
Bob did not fit this barrel.

This one came from the manufacturer with a small windage mis-alignment.
The sights were adjusted but looked odd being off center.
I fabricated the front and rear Tier One sights with offsets to compensate. The result is perfectly centered sights that shoot point of aim.

That is cool, Chuck! One thing I hate is crooked sights.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all of the kind comments. The "before" photo that paladin posted really shows the difference in the depth of the bluing.

DevilDave1911 said:
Bob and chuck....is a trigger guard undercut useless without a beavertail, or is it still a good mod no matter?

That undercut is superb, I can only imagine how nice it feels with a perfectly blended and increased cut BT.
A high grip beavertail is an important part of the process in order to get the full benefit. It's easy to feel the difference. I alter the trigger guard first, and if you reassemble and grip the gun at that point, you can tell something is missing. As soon as the GS is lifted, the pistol settles and levels into the hand and feels just right. :)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Wow

I'm not a fan of safe queen's myself but that is almost looks to nice to shoot. I would have to spend hours cleaning it to make sure it looked just as good after each range trip.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts