1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here! Hello to all the members. I've been reading this forum religiously for a few months. Still can't really narrow down my choice for a primary carry gun. I like the DW RZ-10, like a few Kimbers but they have too many models. If I can convince myself that I have the money I'd really like a Baer Monolith. I just love the way this gun looks. Anyone own one? Recommendations for a different Baer? I just wish the full size Monolith came with night sights. Is the waitlist really 16 weeks? I'd love to have one in about a month. Keeping my eyes open. Thanks again, love the forum

·
Registered
130 Posts
Even if if costs more buy the gun you really want and you won't have to trade up later.
I have a standard weight monolith with the 1.5" guarantee. Like you, I liked the way monoliths look. I found mine on guns america in very lightly used condition (probably unfired) but with a substantial $ discount. It is very accurate and can easily outshoot me. I regularly shoot empty 12 gauge shotgun hulls at 25 yards offhand. The extra weight up front helps keep the muzzle down during recoil. It has run flawlessly with every type of ammo I've tried. It nows gets only 200 grain SWC low recoil target reloads and it functions fine with the stock recoil spring.
I'd buy it again in a heartbeat and I don't say that about many of the guns I own. Go for the mono....you won't be sorry

·
Banned
2,125 Posts
Monolith Fan!!!

Greetings,
For a long time I always wanted a Monolith.I always said that when I could afford one I would grab one.Well,as things always seem to come up financially,it would always get put to the side.It didn't help that there are no LB dealers in my area to speak of.Then last summer,I got fed up looking at the pics,and got down to looking for one.I called a shop in the Northeastern U.S and found one in stock.It was a lot more than I thought I would pay,but it had a lot more options than I planned on getting.Hard Chromed and HWY with the 1.5"pkg.It has been more than worth the money.I fired 500 rds in one afternoon at the range.No problems what so ever.I used the recommended ammo(American Eagle)as well as stuff that it really wasn't intended to shoot(200GR Flying Ashtrays and Hydra-Shoks).No FTF's or anything to slow it down.So getting to the point,BUY ONE !!!
You will not be disapointed.
Respectfully,
DAT85

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a Monolith Heavyweight and I love it. If you are willing to wait, you can have it built anyway you want. I ordered mine with fixed sights, magwell, no front cocking serrations, and no slide markings.
The first picture is the gun when it was new. The second and third pics are after Bob Rodgers worked his magic.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
All hail the monolith....

I think Paladin is the reason I bought mine.

Its a heavy weight too.

I put about 450 rounds through it before cleaning and only had to clean it due to the rubber recoil buff falling apart!

Its an awesome gun!

:rock:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Monolith

I have a TRS and a PII and love them both. I am currently looking for a
Monolith myself. If I can just find a Monolith, my 1911 craving will
finally come to an end!!!!! But I do like the SRP's and the Concept VII's.
I'm addicted!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love the looks of mine but I'm having trouble with the safety riding up a fraction of an inch after the first shot which prevents me from firing a follow up shot about 2 to 3 times per clip. I sent it back to Les but I'm still having the same problem. I have to go the range once more to verify everything. Has this happened to anyone else? I've never read about this type of problem anywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
I too love the Monolith.....

With that stout look to it. Its really unique, and that extra heft on the snout sure would seem to make shot recovery a total snap. I tried to find one on GunBroker, and found my Concept VII instead.

I have yet to take it out to the range so I cannot say if it has any reliability issues. I sure hope not! You do pay a premium for a Les Baer product. But nothing is perfect, until proven to be so. SO I will see, and letcha all know how it goes.

As far as fit and finish and the trigger goes, my Les Baer is the best thing I have yet tried. That sear was polished satin smooth and felt 1000 times more solid than the sear of my old Sig GSR (which by the way had been a 100% reliable and accurate gun). But the Les Baer just FEELS so much better. I love the undercut trigger guard, the checkering and serrations are of a much higher quality, and I really like the Commander sized proportions. I am beginning to think that I will need to find a range to visit tomorrow. The anticipation is becomming too much to BAER:)!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I too love the Monolith.....

With that stout look to it. Its really unique, and that extra heft on the snout sure would seem to make shot recovery a total snap. I tried to find one on GunBroker, and found my Concept VII instead.

I have yet to take it out to the range so I cannot say if it has any reliability issues. I sure hope not! You do pay a premium for a Les Baer product. But nothing is perfect, until proven to be so. SO I will see, and letcha all know how it goes.

As far as fit and finish and the trigger goes, my Les Baer is the best thing I have yet tried. That sear was polished satin smooth and felt 1000 times more solid than the sear of my old Sig GSR (which by the way had been a 100% reliable and accurate gun). But the Les Baer just FEELS so much better. I love the undercut trigger guard, the checkering and serrations are of a much higher quality, and I really like the Commander sized proportions. I am beginning to think that I will need to find a range to visit tomorrow. The anticipation is becomming too much to BAER:)!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
My Mono HW was perfect out of the box and is quite reliable and accurate.

I plan to send it back to Les to have the rear and top of the slide serrated.

I would like to have one in 9mm one day.

·
Registered
177 Posts
guitarmaker, Nice pic of your Monolith.
I just broke in my first LB, a SRP w/ the 1.5" & loving it.
Your monolith kinda grows on me. I thought a Stinger might be next for me but now having second thoughts.
Regards.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I should have mine in 2 more months .. from Pro Load

·
Registered
24,173 Posts
Holsters ?

Do the Monoliths fit in standard 1911 type holsters or do you need a special type ?

Thanks in advance for any information !

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I love the looks of mine but I'm having trouble with the safety riding up a fraction of an inch after the first shot which prevents me from firing a follow up shot about 2 to 3 times per clip. I sent it back to Les but I'm still having the same problem. I have to go the range once more to verify everything. Has this happened to anyone else? I've never read about this type of problem anywhere.
My super tac does this but not to the point of any malfunctions. I figured it was normal to move a bit but now you make me wonder. Mine seems to move just a tinny bit.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
5 Posts
They won't fit a standard 1911 holster. The under barrel gets in the way. You'd need to get an open ended holster or have one made by someone like Rusty Sherrick who is set up specifically to make Monolith holsters.

Steve

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
My super tac does this but not to the point of any malfunctions. I figured it was normal to move a bit but now you make me wonder. Mine seems to move just a tinny bit.

Is this normal?
Called Les today and didnt know you are supposed to shoot with your thumb on the safety, lol. Thumb below means at some point it could bump it up but there is nothing wrong with the safety and that is confirmed by the MAN.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I am a Monolith fan and have two, a TRS HD in .45 ACP and a Monolith Heavy in 9x19. Both are excellent pistols although the 9x19 had some teething pains while the .45 ran out of the box. Neither (or any other 1911s I own) require me to shoot high-thumb, which is good as I shoot low thumb when I shoot lefty.

·
Banned
2,125 Posts
Monoliths are 'da bomb !

Greetings,
I can not say enough as to how good my Monolith makes me look as a shooter!I do not get to the range nearly enough for my skills to be all that great,but the Monolith with the 1.5 guarantee that I own makes me look like I live at the range.I am on about 1500 rds,and I have not had one single problem with feed or extraction no matter what mags I run it with.I keep wanting to post pics,but as I am "computer challanged",I will have to have my MRS do the work for me one of these days.It is a Hard Chromed HWY WGT,which came from the factory with a FLGR.I called LB to verify that,and was told my piece(which is marked"MILLINEUM")was made for export.The FLGR is the only thing I don't like about the pistol.As far as being tight,I am on my 2nd bushing wrench!I went to an aluminum one from BROWNELLS.
So if you want pride of ownership and a gun which you can shoot for the rest of your life without wearing it out,I would suggest a LB Mono!!!
Regards and good shooting,:rock:
DAT85

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I see you are interested in the rz. I got the Baer first. My HWML is another heavyweight but it is also a 10mm.

Great guns.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts